Senior Director - Consumer Research & Insights, Global Data Science
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As the leader of Consumer Research & Insights in the Data Science team supporting Visa’s economists & executives, you will be responsible for surfacing consumer behavior and preference shifts, industry trends, and research to tell a story of what is happening in the markets. You are a creative, critical thinker who can work with both internal and external data sources to create fact based stories that provide insights. You will be able to see beyond the numbers to craft compelling, strategic stories that will help Visa and its clients make better decisions to grow their business. You will also be able to guide a team of data scientists in their quest to research better technical solutions and approaches to address common business challenges across clients and geographies.
- Partner with Visa Business & Economic Insights and other Data Science teams to drive cross-functional results.
- Provide practical, business-oriented thought leadership to your team to design and execute on data driven research and experimentation with alternate data science techniques and data sources, resulting in practically feasible solutions to a wide variety of business challenges faced by Visa and its clients.
- Lead and mentor a team of technically proficient data scientists with strong background in econometrics, statistics and machine learning techniques.
- Translate monthly consumer engagement trends and forecasts based on Visa’s data in conjunction with consumer surveys and government statistics to identify meaningful trends and beneficial insights.
- Propose and investigate new ideas and opportunities to identify the most important themes, consumer/business shifts, and category trends to determine new business opportunities
- Mine data and market trends to form consumer and market intelligence. Synthesize these insights and craft compelling narratives and reports that will educate, uncover opportunities and provide actionable insights for the business
- Stay current with recent advances in the field of econometrics and data science for us to leverage as relevant
- Present and engage in discussions with senior executives within and outside Visa with your insights and recommendations
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- Fluent story teller with superior interpersonal skills
- Orientation to detail, as expected to ensure highest level of quality/rigor in reports & analyses
- Strong project management skills and the ability to meet deadlines in a fast-moving work environment
- Ability to coach, lead and provide direction to a diverse team of technical personnel
- Possess a collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style, with the ability to tailor data driven results to various audience levels
- Advanced skills in applied time series econometrics, machine learning, or other advanced statistical methods.
- Masters or a Ph.D. degree in Data Science, Economics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research, or other analytic degree
- Prior experience with trend identification and reporting, research and insights or strategic planning at a consultancy, market research, financial services or a payments firm
- Results oriented with strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
- Understanding of Cards/Payments and Banking business model would be a plus
- Exhibit intellectual curiosity and strive to continually learn
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.