Container Platform Engineer - Docker-Kubernetes
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Virtualisation / Container Platform Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
The Virtualization / Container Platform Engineer will be responsible for providing Shared Infrastructure support across, in particular the Visa corporate systems environment.
This position requires significant strength in root cause analysis and proactive enterprise improvement analysis.
This is a professional level position and requires strong execution and analytical abilities. This role works independently and receives minimal guidance.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Skilled in deploying, managing and maintaining large enterprise virtualization technologies including Docker containers, Kubernetes, OpenShift, VMware and Hyper-V.
- Strong technical analytical and troubleshooting skills, and possess an ability to explain technical concepts and provide guidance to staff.
- Proficient to expert level scripting and automation skills converting manual and maintenance functions into fully orchestrated automation.
- Proficient in managing enterprise class converged hardware including HP, Dell and Hitachi HDS.
- Proficient in troubleshooting storage related issues as it relates to Hitachi HDS storage arrays, extending to the basic support knowledge of Brocade storage switch technologies.
- Must have strong knowledge and experience in system monitoring techniques and tools supporting unattended operations.
- Strong system security awareness and knowledge in OS hardening.
- Ability to operate in complex, highly secure and highly available, operations environments and interact with the technology domain experts required to maintain those environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Coaching other members of the support team, sharing technical and customer knowledge in a helpful and timely fashion.
- Responsible for partnering with other support and delivery teams to provide seamless infrastructure support for all Visa business lines.
- Adherence to ITIL.
What we’re after…
Experience of enterprise management and support where overlying critical services must maintain high availability at all times.
- Experience of enterprise management and support where overlying critical services must maintain high availability at all times.
- Experience with Docker & Kubernetes is essential
- Qualification and experience must include:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or similar field
- Skilled in Virtualisation and Container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, VMware and Hyper-V.
- Expertise in infrastructure technologies such as HP, Dell and Cisco server hardware environments.
- Strength in scripting automation against Unix and Windows. BMC Atrium Orchestrator experience is highly recommended.
- Unix Systems Administration experience required, Windows experience is a plus.
- Experience supporting a 24x7 Operational environment, requiring shift support.
- Working experience with infrastructure components (LAN/WAN/TCP IP)
- Self-motivated with the ability to exercise independent judgement with minimal direction from supervisor
- Ability to coordinate activities within cross-divisional and cross-functional teams
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and assignments
- Excellent verbal, written, skills; in particular, demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organisational levels internally and externally
- Strong understanding of process orientation, understanding of project management techniques, methodologies and best practices
- Candidate must have demonstrated and be prepared to exhibit initiative and ownership of consistent delivery success
- Ability to set goals and objectives, prioritise, and manage situations to satisfactory completion
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.