Sr. Staff Software Engineer
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Verifi Product Development team is seeking a Sr Staff Software Engineer to lead a world-class team of software and systems engineers to deliver client-ready solutions by building the next generation of systems, automation and tools to support overall productivity and developer efficiencies. You will provide strategy, vision and technical leadership to the product development teams across Visa Verifi to ensure engineering teams are building products that use a foundational approach that prioritizes high availability and security.
You will be responsible for mentoring top engineering talent, keeping the team highly engaged and motivated while delivering exceptional results. Your ability to work across functions and teams will allow you to drive results and foster the right culture and environment to achieve Engineering Excellence and Innovation. You will be responsible for working with product development, quality engineering, security engineering, enterprise operations and other internal and external technology partners to deliver products for business integration & enablement.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance within Visa Technology Compliance Policies on tools development, automation, system stability, availability and overall integration strategies and plans.
- Develop technology strategies and road maps to meet business objectives by collaborating with Development, Operations, and other Visa's organizations.
- Own system technical design discussions with global teams to ensure business and technical requirements are understood and properly documented and implemented, including understanding customer scenarios.
- Keep executive management informed of progress and any obstacles of development, Releases and risks to Visa and to its customers.
- Apply creative thinking/approaches to determine the best solutions that further support developer efficiency.
- Partner with product development and application architecture teams to drive the evolution of availability, across VMs and Containers.
- Establish clear, aligned goals and direction; provide candid feedback and coaching to maximize team competency, support career management and development of direct reports.
- Achieve Operational/Engineering Excellence: availability, stability, efficiency, with an availability first mindset directed towards all product development efforts.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- 10+ years’ experience in software development, systems engineering, operations leadership, and or support; at least five of which are in engineering lead role. Digital, mobile, and payments product development experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with tools development, automation (CI/CD, Auto Deployment, System Availability, etc.).
- Extended experience in Agile Release Management practices, governance, and planning.
- Ability to quickly identify and manage/mitigate risks.
- Ability to influence Senior Leadership on direction of engineering efficiencies and integration management through data, roadmaps, short/long term plans, etc.
- Strong ability to build and sustain working and strategic relationships across technology.
- Experience with large-scale systems with both VM and Container based multi data-center (active active) solutions, external 3rd parties such as Akamai, Cloud Fare, etc. and how to bring the solution together into a single view.
- Extensive technical experience with full stack HTTP, REST APIs, JSON, databases, Java and web frameworks at scale.
- Experience with both NoSQL and SQL datastores including Oracle, Cassandra, MySQL, MongoDB
- Experience in eCommerce systems.
- Experience within container space, understands and able to quickly build and drive team to support future systems.
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated ability to lead global, cross-functional teams.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure and tight deadlines.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.