Lead Cloud Infrastructure Engineer - Container Platform
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Lead Cloud Infrastructure Engineer - Container Platform, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
Visa's Distributed Systems Architecture & Engineering (DSAE) team collaborates with product development teams, and other teams within Operations & Infrastructure organisation on engineering, building and maintaining the most innovative, reliable, secure and cost-effective distributed solutions to meet VISA customers’ growing needs.
If you're passionate about and experienced with cloud and containerisation, you can be part of DSAE Cloud Infrastructure Engineering Team, which is responsible for the private cloud environment and associated infrastructure management solutions at Visa, specifically in designing and deploying multi-hypervisor based cloud and Kubernetes based container platforms. In this role you will be accountable for designing and building innovative cloud infrastructure solutions to support a Software Defined Data Centre (SDDC). Solid platform & virtualization know-how is a must along with experience with open source solutions to encapsulate the infrastructure, making it available as code to customers. Knowledge and experience with infrastructure management tools is also a key requirement. Prior experience with virtualization, containerization and deployment and management of distributed infrastructure at large enterprises is required.
What we’re after…
- Extensive work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or mid-level work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or experience with a PhD
- Mid-level engineering experience of enterprise infrastructure management solution - architecture design, development, integration, customisation & implementation. Specifically in containerisation, building scalable, reliable and secure container platform and management ecosystems, enabling application transformation micro services
- Solid knowledge on managing the life-cycle of containers, with an in-depth understanding of scheduling, security and compliance challenges and operational considerations
- Proficiency in one or more scripting/programming languages, such as PowerShell, bash, Python, Perl or Go, and Docker Compose, Kubernetes deployment yaml construct and/or Helm charts
- Clear understanding of network OSI model and protocols, good concepts of network name spaces, network overlay and BGP, ready to troubleshoot and diagnose network/load balancer/firewall related issues
- Experienced in building automated solutions through tools and orchestration engine that enable infrastructure to be provisioned, configured, changed and decommissioned through infrastructure life cycle in automated fashion
- Working knowledge of databases, middleware components and web applications, good understanding of the principles of microservices architecture
- Strong analytical skills, able to work independently to solve complex engineering problems. Make independent judgements/decisions within established guidelines
- Communicate well with others both verbally and in writing and be able to effectively interact with peers, management and other outside contacts
- The ability to gather and understand business requirements, translate them into technical/operational requirements
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency, comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis
- Self-confident, commands technical authority and respect at all levels
- Demonstrable teamwork attitude, ready to initiate collaboration and resolve conflicts
Key skills required (in the order of priority)
- Docker Compose/Swarm/UCP, Kubernetes(must have)
- RHEL Linux & Windows, container OS(must have)
- Good Understanding of network concepts, management protocols (must have)
- Scripting - bash, Perl, Python or Go (must have)
- API and RESTful principles, able to utilise REST APIs for integration and testing (must have)
- XML, JSON, yaml and their transformation (must have)
- Bladelogic, SCCM, Ansible, Chef or Puppet for managing medium & large environments
- Patrol, SCOM, Zabbix, Prometheus/Graphana, SysDig for monitoring VMs/containers nd applications (must have)
- Code repository & version control – Git or Subversion (must have)
- Splunk/ELK, RabbitMQ, Fluentd
- Work in a complex, highly-secure, and highly available operations environments and interacting with the technology domain authorities required to maintain those environments
- Function as the compute lead on critical infrastructure projects and initiatives
- Write technical design and build documentation for compute infrastructure
- Develop ITIL procedures, technology strategy, engineering standards, methodologies, task-plans and standard methodologies for Distributed Compute Engineering
- Collaborate with partner Engineering Disciplines to develop Infrastructure Building Blocks based Reference Architectures and standards that can be offered as services to our customers
- Mentor junior team members
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- “This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.