Sr Systems Engineer-Network Tools
- Denver, CO, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As Sr Systems Engineer, Network Tools, your primary responsibility will be to assist in designing, driving, and implementing improvements to Visa’s network management tools, with specific focus on broadening and deepening the capabilities for network monitoring, fault detection, and recovery. This will involve leveraging and expanding Visa’s existing toolsets, identifying gaps in coverage and capability, and working with team leads in developing solutions to create more specific, granular, and real-time network visibility. You will work closely with the Network Tools Development team on the design and implementation of new features, including triaging requirements, formalizing into recommendations, and designing and implementing solutions to deliver value and ease of consumption to our internal customers. This position is within IaaS Network team that architects, engineers and operates Visa’s global backbone, datacenter, and access networks. The IaaS team is centered around hiring and developing diverse talents who are passionate about building and operating best-in-the-breed infrastructure through technology and innovation.
- 2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- 5-8 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or
- 3 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or
- 1 year of experience with a PhD.
- Broad knowledge of network and server infrastructure monitoring.
- 5+ years of technology experience in delivering support services directly related to IT operations and support organizations for production.
- Strong collaborative relationships with various support teams.
- Solid understanding and ability to optimize the platforms and technology used in monitoring networks, including but not limited to SNMP and syslog
- Proven experience delivering engineering solutions for network monitoring and alarming tools, leveraging vendors such as Solarwinds, Netscout, Netbrain, and Thousandeyes
- Experience implementing fault management solutions to increase operational uptime
- Experience with programming languages such as Python
- Experience with SQL queries
- Ability to communicate effectively throughout the technology infrastructure organization to understand requirements and implement solutions.
- Ability to follow documented support procedures, managing each issue through resolution in support of established service levels
- Experience using an enterprise ITSM solution to track incidents, requests, and changes
- Proven experience using strong interpersonal skills and the ability to excel as part of a team
- Ability to use sound judgment in determining priorities and enlisting support of other internal groups to prevent any compromise in service quality for Visa internal and external customers
- Experience working in a 24x7 environment; ability to work flexible hours and be on-call
- Experience managing large scale technology incidents and supporting root cause analysis
- This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
- On call rotation and some after hours work required.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.