Data Scientist - Visa Research
- Austin, TX, USA
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Research conducts applied and fundamental research, and was created to lead the company in pushing the boundaries of payment related technologies on a global scale. We engage with the company's numerous technology and product teams, world-wide business partners, academics, and governments, to explore and develop technologies that will shape the future of the payments industry and impact the lives of billions of people.
We are currently focused on building world-class research teams in three key areas: Security, Data Analytics, and Future of Payment. Working on data analytics at Visa is a unique opportunity at a time when the payments industry is undergoing a digital transformation, and with AI as the critical differentiator for a growing number of emerging payment models and usage scenarios. We offer you the opportunity to be at the center of innovation in the payments industry and set the direction for Visa and the future payment ecosystem. This role represents an exciting opportunity to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision as the world-leading digital payments company. The successful candidate must have an outstanding track record in academics and is business savvy with participation in developing innovations. The candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and excellent collaboration skills.
- Performs statistical, cost and financial analysis of various Visa Research prototypes.
- Author pipelines for data extraction and build key datasets to obtain operational efficiency.
- Monitor Key product metrics, understand root cause for change and identify levers to move it.
- Partner with Data/Research Scientists, Product and Engineering and apply your expertise in quantitative analysis to create, scale and automate reporting.
- Influence clients and product teams through presentation of work.
- Develop deep understanding of payments ecosystem.
- Perform AB testing experimentation to foster product innovation.
- 2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or no work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD) Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field.
- 3+ years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 1+ years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field.
- Experience doing quantitative analysis.
- Experience in product focused role in technology or consulting company.
- Technical competence to perform advanced analytics:
- Big data query language (such as SQL or Hive).
- Experience with analytics & visualization tools (SPSS, Tableau, Power BI) .
- Experience performing analysis with large datasets.
- Strong statistical knowledge (such as a/b testing, significance testing etc).
- Knowledge of scripting language such as Python is a plus.
- Deep understanding of numbers, as well as a strong business sense.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity.
- Business Savvy and highly curious.
- Strong strategic aptitude; ability to define and measure impact of a prototype running retro analysis on large data sets.
- Knowledge of general ML techniques is a plus.
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner to a senior audience.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.