Data Centre Engineering & Operations Senior Lead
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Data Centre Engineering & Operations Senior Lead, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
Reporting to Visa's Global Data Centre Engineering and Operations Lead, Technology, the Senior Director, European Data Centre Engineering and Operations builds, operates and maintains secure and reliable data centres, owned and leased, supporting the core business functionality that Visa provides to its stakeholders in the EMEA region, architecting strategies, applications and processes which drive innovation and operational excellence.
What we expect of you, day to day.
Data Centre Technology
- Build and manage Visa's technology European Data Centre environment including all owned and leased data centre facilities
- Drive and implement change while maintaining the highest standards for technical reliability and business continuity for critical facilities engineering as well as critical white space operations.
- Direct and manage 24x7 European data centre operations in order to provide world-class uninterruptible service to partners and customers
- Lead a metrics-driven culture supported by cutting edge reporting technology and best-in-class education and training opportunities
- Continuously evaluate the current state of the European data centre infrastructure and operations, critical facilities engineering services and equipment install and security to maintain alignment with visa global data centre standards and operating procedures
- Responsible for the direction in overall evaluation, selection, installation and maintenance of environmental systems to include, but not limited to: Electrical Systems, Mechanical Systems, Fire Detection and suppression systems, Building Management System (BMS) for energy and environmental controls, and emergency backup systems.
- Knowledge in the following areas: IBM Mainframe Topology, Server compute and storage platforms, SAN Storage, IP Network Topologies, Network hardware platforms, Data Centre design and capacity planning.
- Experience with Data Centre Network fibre and structured cable design and implementation.
- Lead the maintenance of critical facilities infrastructure (mechanical/electrical/fire safety/etc.) and compute/ storage/ network physical hardware moves add changes across all European data centres
- Remove barriers to the team's productivity or effectiveness through systems and process reengineering
What we’re after…
- Deep technical experience combined with strong management and leadership capabilities
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Extensive technical and data centre operations experience
- Senior-level experience in a key senior management position leading a 50 person regional team in the operations of complex, 24x7 l data centres, including technical leadership, budget responsibility, site selection and build-out of data centres
- Experience analysing critical infrastructure risks and recommends contingency plans
- In depth knowledge of data centre critical infrastructure, including environment controls, security systems, backup power systems, HVAC, system monitoring, job automation, management policies and procedures, and physical organisation
- Experience in developing implementation plans for data centre infrastructure projects and workload transitions
- Extensive knowledge of Engineering/Data Centre best practices and methodologies
- Experience building data centre operations from the ground up
- Operations experience including capacity planning and forecasting, risk management, including response and recover and business continuity
- Strong leadership and Executive communication skills
- Strong cross-functional communication and collaboration skills
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.