Chief Operating Officer, Earthport (a Visa business)
- London, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
Earthport, a previously AIM listed business, was acquired by Visa in May 2019 in a $250M merger. The company, now a wholly owned business in the global Visa company, provides cross-border payment services in 190+ countries to banks, money transfer service providers and businesses via the world’s largest independent ACH network in over 60 markets. Through a single relationship with Visa, clients can seamlessly manage payments to almost any bank account in the world, reducing costs and complexity to meet their customers’ evolving expectations of price, speed and transparency.
Earthport is seeking a strategic Chief Operating Officer, a new appointment to the leadership team, reporting to the SVP & Managing Director. Based in London, this role will determine how the operating model is executed, with a specific focus on providing robust and scalable operations. Building an efficient and broad network is critical to this strategy.
The successful individual will be responsible for the optimisation and delivery of all Earthport payment operations. The COO will build operational resilience and scalability to improve capacity, speed and quality of Visa’s offering to create a stronger foundation for future growth. This will involve stabalising operations whilst building for the future. Change management is at the heart of this business and people strategy. The scope of the role will include programmes of work that have a significant impact on Earthport’s ability to scale or, are focused on improvements to operations and / or core payments flow. By optimising, enhancing and extending network operations, this will enable Visa to transform the Push to Account Business through Visa Direct.
The role of the COO will influence, and contribute to the overall deliverables of Earthport and will be responsible for the leadership of payment operations, service delivery and client onboarding. The results of which will improve quality, reach and resilience of Earthport's partner network. The operations, built and designed by the COO, will support the critical delivery of the partner network against an ambitious business strategy.
· Responsible for building robust and resilient payment operations strategy and the annual operations plan.
· Lead, inspire and drive high performance across an organisation comprised of 50+ Payment Operations and Operations Optimisation & Stabilisation employees, to execute, and manage, payments flawlessly (timely, reliable, safely and without error) to all global Earthport clients.
· Lead and design the client lifecycle including client onboarding, compliance, reconciliations, client application service and support, whilst consistently evolving best practice to deliver cost effectiveness, speed & efficiency and high quality & productivity.
· Be accountable for, and partner with, the rest of the Earthport and Visa business to re-design, scale and optimise the Earthport payment processing operations so that it can meet the company’s stated 5 year volume, growth and operating cost targets.
· Set, review and maintain the highest levels of excellence across each of the core areas of accountability. Embed tools, process, knowledge and capability consistently across each function in order to deliver the highest quality of execution.
o Measures effectiveness and efficiency of operational processes both internally and externally and finds ways to improve processes.
o Reviews key projects critical to plan achievement.
o Develops and implements growth strategies.
o Acts as a liaison between company and client for quality assurance
· Track and manage the performance of the operations organisation using consistent dashboards, metrics and reports for optimum performance measurement. Select and communicate clear measurements that are relevant to overall performance and an ambitious transformation agenda. Use data to determine go-forward strategies for success and to influence behavior and action across the organisation.
· Leadership and accountability for company-wide safeguarding. Responsible for ensuring Earthport and its subsidiaries remain compliant with the obligation to safeguard relevant client funds under regulation 23 of the Payment Service Regulations 2017. As a member of the Earthport leadership team, a respected leader, knowledgeable in risk and governance operations.
· Develop and implement an integrated strategy with the commercial team on solution design implementation for clients and internal audit team to ensure depth of rigor on internal reconciliation investigations for quality control and risk mitigation.
· Strategic architect of incident identification and resolution process, leading the investigations team to deliver automated enhancements.
· Responsible for key strategic business projects that will enhance the client experience and lead the overall business improvement operations.
· Attract, develop, inspire and motivate talent and teams to surpass organisational and commercial sales goals.
· Thought-leader in the payments ecosystem and a credible operator in leading strategy and transformation of business and payment operations
Proven senior executive in an enterprise leadership role. Demonstrable track record leading the operations of a business or a function in a matrix, multi-national environment. Ability to influence and challenge at all levels of the organisation. Credible.
18+ years in the payments / fintech or related industries in which Visa operates, having led transformative operations at scale across multiple / global geographies.
Depth of rigour to operational effectiveness, excellence in execution, new market entry and client acquisition through to onboarding and servicing.
Strong background and understanding on current and emerging payment technologies, risk and governance in the payments lifecycle.
Commercially focused and pragmatic with superior strategic thinking and excellent ability to identify opportunities and define solutions. Client centric mentality with a real understanding of how to work and operate differently across the evolving payments ecosystem.
Phenomenal drive to translate big picture into a resilient operations plan. Agility to think global and act local. Ability to set an overarching direction.
Functional operations experience would be valuable, with a mature understanding of operations that support sales lifecycle strategies, process and execution. Strategic in nature with the ability to bring order and focus to complex situations.
S/he should have strong negotiation skills with proven track record of achieving results in operationalising the management of P&L and robust financial results.
Outstanding problem solving and analytical / decision-making skills through the use of data. Ability to be a thought partner to Executive Leaders and peers with a focus on intellectual rigour.
Adept and inspiring leader that has built and evolved a high performing and diverse team. Ability to build strong and deep relationships at all levels of the organisation.
Flexibility and ability to adjust quickly new demands, assimilate a vast array of information and shape priorities. A proactive individual who thrives in fast-paced / build and growth environments.
A sense of urgency, assertiveness, and directness. Ability to think longer-term coupled with fast execution of short-term priorities.
Proven ability to navigate and thrive in a complex, fast paced and often ambiguous environment.
Have capacity to become a respected and valued business partner at multiple levels within the organisation.
A sense of humor and humility. Ability to build relationships at all levels within the organisation and partner effectively with clients externally.
Act as an ambassador for talent internally and externally. Promote the Visa brand in all that you do, thinking proactively about harnessing the best talent with potential for the organisation.
· Passion for Fintech and the payments industry, keeping abreast of topical changes both in the sector, influencing the sectors, as well as regulatory-led.
· An intellectually curious and humble leader with a high degree of compassion, able to engage, enable and inspire others.
· A hands-on approach to all activities with real passion and high levels of energy. Agile and comfortable adapting to different environments.
· Courageous innovation: creative and resourceful in overcoming barriers and unexpected roadblocks. Bold in change management and transformation.
· An authentic leader who intuitively engenders an inclusive and trusting environment, enabling the business to reach its ambitious goals.
· Diversity of thought and experience: continually seeks new perspectives and feedback, takes an inclusive approach.
· High personal standards of ethics and integrity towards employees, stakeholders and customers.
· High levels of learning-agility with a real interest in developing relationships across the payments ecosystem, combining a ‘technology / digital-first’ approach.
· Entrepreneurial and comfortable with ambiguous and change-led environments; self-confident with an authentic style that gravitates to championing change.
· Eager to seek a challenge and expand frontiers; brings a visionary approach. Sets and meets a high bar of goals and principles.
· Servant leadership mentality, deeply committed to serving and listening to others. Natural ability to build strong relationships and enable collaboration through empathy and authenticity.
· Committed to building a community through Visa Leadership Principles:
1. We Lead by Example
2. We Communicate Openly
3. We Enable and Inspire
4. We Excel with Partners
5. We Act Decisively
6. We Collaborate
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.