Sr Director, Infrastructure Lifecycle Management
- Ashburn, VA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
This position reports to the Vice President and Head of Infrastructure Reliability Engineering. The successful incumbent will manage a global Infrastructure Lifecycle Management (ILM) under the infrastructure reliability engineering and work closely with the architecture team and engineering teams within Visa's Global Operations and Infrastructure organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior technology leader to make key contributions to help transform Visa's global infrastructure with a focus on container, Kubernetes, software defined storage, software defined network and umbrella all next-generation capabilities. The ILM team is accountable for operationalizing all next-generation technology and governing infrastructure release to include following SDLC and CI/CD release practice. As part of the team, the candidate is empowered to lead by example in support of Visa critical applications, ensuring service stability and availability, while delivering efficiency through value-add automation. The incumbent will be leading innovation through the delivery of orchestrated automation and mitigating impact through root cause analysis excellence via the continual service improvement methodology (CSI) of ITIL. The chosen incumbent’s proven leadership and management experience will be well utilized working in a 24x7 leadership team which provides global follow-the-sun support. Their analytical systematic approach toward qualitative and quantitative data driven decision making, will lead toward successful delivery against strategy.
The successful incumbent will provide senior technical leadership in several areas of expertise, including virtualization, containerization and software defined technologies. They will develop and execute new initiatives to simplify, standardize and optimize the infrastructure design to reduce release times, improve release success and increase reliability, stability and service agility. The leaders will also be responsible to provide the documented processes and procedures which enable policy for the Infrastructure Reliability Engineering organization. This also include the management and response to all cybersecurity and audit inquiries. They will work collaboratively with key internal stakeholders across several functional and technology areas of Visa to execute business priorities and meet challenges of technology, regulatory, security, and competitive conditions.
- Governance of change/incident/problem/requests and knowledge base management of the infrastructure reliability functions
- Customer/partner engagements, including partner vendor management and governance of OLA internal delivery and SLA partner delivery
- Direct management of Infrastructure Reliability Engineering personnel within the United States, Europe and Asia Pacific locations.
- Establish best-practice release infrastructure (IaaS) and platform (PaaS) engineering methodologies for global, 24x7 teams to execute against. , high-volume, high-availability, critical production environment, based on metrics-based Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Develop Infrastructure Technology Disaster Recovery (ITDR) design, certification, and implementation roadmaps to meet the company's operations & infrastructure business goals and metrics for availability, resiliency and performance. This include creation and governance of exercising the practices of ITDR including framework of war gaming the testing of the framework and the underlying process and procedures which have been developed to meet Visa’s return to operations targets.
- Identify and assess technology trends and articulate technology recommendations.
- Lead the development of innovative infrastructure engineering tools, instrumentation, telemetry and processes, as well as proof-of-concept projects and lab trials with a focus on multi-vendor solutions and innovative technologies, particularly focused around software defined operations and CI/CD.
- Provide leadership to manage demands from projects and technology upgrades including recommendations for vendor tools/solutions and global alignment of IaaS and PaaS technologies.
- Mentor, coach, manage and motivate a high-performing team of senior engineers and managers (including at manager/director-level) and set clear priorities to achieve department goals and KPIs.
- Manage oversight of complex infrastructure operations processes based on a combination of vendors, custom solutions, and internal resources.
- Support adoption of new technologies and tools. Recommend capability improvements to engineering, and assist in lab deployments for technology trials.
- Ensure that information security and risk management are embedded within the culture requiring continuous improvement to a complex set of functions to coordinate security and compliance risks related to information systems and assets. Drive coordination, consensus and execution to mitigate cyber risk issues and emerging threats in such a dynamic environment.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of operation, administration and maintenance of the enterprise infrastructure, including development of Risk Management, Identity/Access Management, Infrastructure and Privacy, and Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Plans.
- Determine need for new products and systems based on budget, client needs, and improvements in technology.
- Lead development of innovation and strategic direction in application of theories and concepts in release, ITDR and cybersecurity design, configuration, administration, maintenance and/or support.
- Work closely with other departments to proactively ensure infrastructure capabilities are capable of handling emerging and future business requirements.
- Ensure service level targets are met and address all service-level concerns from an infrastructure reliability engineering perspective.
- Ensure infrastructure implementations and engineering processes are conducted according to corporate standards, and in compliance with external standards as defined in company objectives (e.g., ITIL, COBIT, ISO27001/27002 and similar).
- Comfort in working through corporate culture with purpose and energy to promote a unified approach.
- Establish standards and governance in future acquisitions to mitigate risk and maximize infrastructure stability and reliability.
- Provide subject matter expertise in interactions with partners and customers, program manage collaboration projects externally and internally.
· 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- 6+ years experience in improving release, automation and orchestration of complex enterprise infrastructure.
- 6+ years experience in re-engineering complex architectures for latency-sensitive business services
- 6+ years experience in working with highly-effective engineering teams through major technology transitions
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of network, storage and compute technologies, with solid understanding of the software-defined storage and network (SDN / SDS) ecosystem.
- Hands-on experience in designing and deploying large scale-out infrastructure technologies.
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
- This position will be primarily performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up. In addition, the position also requires work in a lab environment lifting and installing equipment, running cables and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.