Middleware Support Engineer
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Middleware Support Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
The Middleware Engineering team is part of the Global Service Engineering and is responsible for common middleware and integration infrastructure that supports communication between multiple enterprise applications and multiple business lines.
This role will be responsible for configuration, troubleshooting, Root Cause Analysis, deployment, and continuous operational support and improvement of middleware technologies used at Visa.
The responsibility includes working with Global systems, Global Operations, Cybersource and external Integration partners in implementing solutions via current or proposed middleware technologies, including but not limited to Application Servers(WebLogic, WebSphere, Tomcat, etc.), Web Servers, WebSphere MQ, IBM Datapower and Connect Direct. Understanding of LDAP, Forgerock OpenAM and Java/J2EE applications will be a plus. He or she must be able to collaborate with others to manage and rationalise incoming requirements in order to implement appropriate solutions.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Monitor Production environments and work with various teams to resolve Mission Critical issues.
- Provide expert advise and consultation in Tomcat, IBM WebSphere Application Server, Oracle WebLogic, messaging solution (message broker, MQ)
- Create SOPs for Middleware Operations for Optimum Infrastructure Solutions.
- Provide level 2 and 3 production support for Middleware components and applications
- Lead problem resolution and improvement efforts
- Drive constant interaction with application support, developers and other infrastructure teams.
- Enhance Middleware and Integration operating procedures and engineering patterns.
What we’re after…
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related degree from an accredited university
- Experience in Information Technology and mid-level relevant Middleware experience
- Good Administration skills on Tomcat, WebSphere Application Server and Weblogic
- Experience with Web Servers e.g Apache, IBM HTTP Server, IIS etc.
- Experience with at least one Messaging product e.g WebSphere MQ, Active MQ etc.
- Experience with Integration Technologies e.g IBM Datapower, Connect Direct etc.
- Good scripting skills in Shell, Perl, Python etc.
- Experience in troubleshooting production issues and problem solving.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to deal with different teams in the organisation and external customers.
- Intermediate level of knowledge on Windows/UNIX/Linux OS.
- Experience with at least one ticketing tool e.g. ServiceNow, Viper, Jira etc.
- Should be enthusiastic and have the urge to learn new technologies and accept challenges.
- Should have ITIL standards exposure with respect to Change, Incident and Problem.
- Must have worked and supported complex distributed infrastructure involving Network, Load Balancers, Middleware, Storage, Databases etc. and should have the ability to drill down issues quickly.
- Experience with SSO Technologies (CA SiteMinder or Forgerock OpenAM), CA Identity Manager, CA Directory Server, Red Hat Directory Server and Oracle Directory Server products
- Experience programming in Java, J2EE
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.