Senior Staff Data Scientist, Applied AI - Visa Research
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Research conducts foundational and applied research on the most challenging problems in the payment industry and provides technical thought leadership for the company’s future. Applied AI team focusing on applying cutting-edge AI technology and create business impact to Visa.
The Applied AI team in Visa Research is seeking a Senior Staff Data Scientist. This position will report to the Sr. Director of the Applied AI team. In this role, you will play a crucial role in leading projects, collaborating with multiple teams, and delivering solutions with business impact to Visa.
This role will interact with different stake holders, senior executives, research scientists, software engineers and architects, as well as external parties like merchants, financial institutes and senior directors in business team. You will discover opportunities, propose AI based solutions, create project plan, identify KPIs. You will also work closely with product engineers to deploy the solutions.
- Solves unique and complex problems and projects to apply artificial intelligence to Visa’s network and solve pain points for our clients
- Contributes multiple projects to achieve objectives, deliver innovative technologies, insights and products to Visa business units resolving significant product pain-points and create new growth opportunities
- Drives progress despite ambiguity & ability to identify blockers ahead of time.
- Identifies key KPIs and create SMART goals
- Requires expertise in both Big Data and Deep Learning to carry out specific professional level work within a function, business unit or geography
- Designs AI solution (model and implementation) specific to the problem at hand with limited guidance
- Full accountability to deliver across team projects spanning multiple domains.
- Collaborate across Visa with different teams, business units, software engineering, research scientists & architects
- Identifies opportunities in current products/services that can be addressed using AI
- Influence, design AI components and execute the development of identified opportunities.
- Identifies synergies & leverage them across solutions.
- Work with product development (engineering) to ensure deployment of solutions. Deliver prototypes and production code based on need.
- Contributes to development of functional strategy and recommend product or service improvement
- Stays current in new technologies and champions testing them.
- Operates with limited guidance in a complex environment
- Delivers business interpretation of results to product and business teams. Put together material to present the solution to business partners.
- Understands the product, project and technologies. Strategical thinking on how a product fits with the rest of Visa’s ML and AI offerings.
- PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or equivalent field with a focus on Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistical or other mathematical analysis.
- Strong knowledge of machine learning and deep learning:
- Extensive experience with different Deep Learning structures like RNN, CNN etc
- Experience with TensorFlow is a plus
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Strong knowledge of Big Data:
- Extensive experience with Big Data tools like MapReduce, Hive and Spark
- Daily work experience with large datasets with trillions of records
- Strong programming skills such as Python, Scala, and Java
- Advanced understanding of Visa Datasets is a plus
- Expertise in implementing algorithms published in research papers and developing customized algorithms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in creation of efficient & resilient AI pipelines to put solutions to production
- Knowledge of more than one business/functional area
- Experience in payments or related industry is a plus
- Publications or presentation in recognized Machine Learning and Data Mining journals/conferences is a plus.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.