Linux DevOps Engineer - Visa Payments Limited - Level 4
- London, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You will fit right in.
By joining one of our teams at Visa Payments Limited, a division of Visa Inc since 2019, you’ll have an opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Being part of Visa, the world’s leader in digital payments technology, our mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network, enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive.
Visa Payments Limited is a financial technology business that provides cross-border payment processing services to banks and payments businesses across six continents through its global network. One of the fastest growing global Fintech businesses the Group also provides tailored FX and payment solutions direct to corporates through its EarthportFX brand.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we are proud that we are a talented team of 18,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life both within and outside of the office, and whether it is taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programmes, Visa Payments Limited and Visa Inc. respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.
If you think you could support the Visa family by joining Visa Payments Limited as a Technical Project Manager, we want to hear from you.
You’re an individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
What's it all about?
The primary focus of this role is to use DevOps culture, practice and tooling to understand the operational requirements of maintaining and implementing new applications, to optimise our delivery pipeline, and to maintain and scale our infrastructure. It’s key to think like a Developer with your DevOps hat on, and work with the development team to reduce friction for developers, help them go faster, and champion the “DevOps” tooling and mindset.
About the Team
Linux and Middleware is a team of five members (includes Linux, middleware engineers and DBA) and is part of IT Operations. This team is responsible for Linux infrastructure and payments application hosting.
What we expect of you, day to day
- Develop and deliver automation solutions, aligned with the infrastructure strategy.
- Act as cultural and change lead for DevOps.
- Implement tool and process change to meet the objectives of the DevOps strategy.
- Design Automate and Document existing manual infrastructure.
- Maintain improve currently automated environments.
- Implement and improve continuous integration and deployment infrastructure, tools, and practices.
- Pair with other engineers to promote skills enhancement and knowledge sharing.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our development, test and production environments.
- Working with platform team to build CD pipeline.
- Software Release Management, Build, Packaging, and Deployments.
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery automation solutions.
- Enterprise Security practicalities.
- Lead and participate in project activities.
- Develop and deliver effective technical solutions, aligned with the infrastructure strategy.
- Liaise with departments on regular basis regarding system requirements and process change/ improvements.
- Assist the developer team in the application development providing the essential infrastructure for the application to run.
- Providing technical assistance to developers, application services team, payments team and customers
- Maintaining the system integrity and security by following the published Server Configuration Standards.
- Continually monitor the health and uptime of our production environment and its dependencies.
- Respond to any infrastructure issues in order to meet customer and internal SLAs.
- Provide level 3 support and backup for on-call rotation as needed
What we're after...
- In depth knowledge of Linux (hands-on): RedHat, CentOS, SLES.
- Experience in administering and supporting the Source Code Management using version controlling tools such as Git on private repositories for the organization in GitHub / BitBucket
- Extensive Experience with developing Ansible roles to automate application installation and configuration management
- Develop Ansible Playbooks related to deployment and Configuration of applications.
- Experience working with Vault securing secrets (HashiCorp, Ansible Vault)
- Proficient with shell and python scripting.
- Ability to learn and understand new technology quickly and thoroughly.
- Knowledge of network and security fundamentals including transport layer protocols (TCP/IP) as well as common application layer protocols (e.g. DNS, FTP, SMTP, etc.) and firewalls.
- Extensive system administration experience with Linux based systems in a distributed environment.
- Prior experience supporting high availability production systems running Linux.
- Experience with collaboration tools such as JIRA and Confluence.
- Relevant industry experience including system administration, automation, and configuration management.
- High availability and clustering concepts.
- Proficient with Python scripting.
- Experience with CI/CD, software release management.
- Experience with Ansible, Terraform, Packer, GIT or equivalent.
- Good understanding of networking.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills.
- Hands on container experience - Docker/Kubernetes
- Knowledge of Microservice Architecture.
- VMware experience.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- High level of relevant commercial experience with DevOps experience
- Understanding of Java application platforms such as WebSphere, Tomcat & Spring boot is desirable
Your Personal Attributes
- Proven practical problem solving and analysis experience.
- Good time management and prioritisation skills.
- Identifies what needs to be done and can take independent action when the situation requires it.
- Experienced in project managing large IT projects and seeing them through from spec, plan, implementation and documentation.
- Work well with colleagues at any level and across the organisation.
- Keen to learn and enthusiastic about embracing new technologies.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa Payments Limited is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.