Staff Software Engineer, Big Data - Data Platform
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be part of the team building the Next Generation Data processing platform with cost-effective and distributed applications on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. You will work with colleagues, who will support and challenge you daily. You will be take leadership roles working on multiple projects building Data lake architecture environment that serves a highly functional, distributed, secure, scalable and resilient platform. We believe in self-managing Agile teams who build products end to end focusing on unit testing, code reviews and continuous integration for excellent code quality. You will see the code written and moved to production within just a few days for downstream applications to get the data on time. You will be driving innovation that makes our products stand apart from our competitors, delight the customer with faster times for market delivery.
If this sounds exciting, we want to chat and tell you more about our work culture and environment and see
if this will be a good fit.
- You’ll use technologies that include Java, Scala, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Pig and more.
- You’ll help our customers achieve their real goals by understanding their requirements and how they
respond to their business needs.
-You will build partnerships with product management to make sure that the products we are building deliver real value.
- You will analyze business requirements and architect a solution that is robust and scalable along with
providing technical documentation of solution.
- You have the work and academic experience that will demonstrate proficiency and ease with programming
languages, code quality initiatives, scripting languages and operating systems.
- You’ll leverage new technologies to build the next generation of Data pipelines and Data Marts.
-You’ll lead efforts to architect, design and implement various components of our global transaction processing systems.
- Your DNA would include following and creating software best practices and processes.
- You’ll lead meeting and discussions with cross-functional and non-technical teams.
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and above all, you are a team player!
- You have a Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field and 5+ years of Software Development Experience or at least 3 years of experience with a Masters in Computer science, Computer engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field
- You have experience with Java,Scala, Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, Hive based technologies.
- You have strong experience with Agile development (scrum, Kanban etc) incorporating Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery, utilizing technologies such as GIT, Maven, Jenkins.
- Ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
- Understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review. Collaborate with security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- We count on your curiosity and creativity, to want to understand customer requirements and our processes and want to come up with creative solutions and improvements.
- While you’ll have the skill to see and understand the big picture, you’re able to stay focused on the task at hand to achieve immediate goals.
- You have proven experience to understand the requirements and independently, architect, design and build the solution.
- You have the passion to work with people and help mentor your juniors to reach new heights.
- As an end-end champion for your products, you will have strong debugging and Unix skills to help support our Operations teams.
- A background in the Reference Data domain knowledge.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.