Lead Software Engineer, Big Data - Data Platform
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
- Build and expand on Visa Data Platform’s Kubernetes-based Machine Learning Platform and Airflow Workflow Engine within an agile collaboration environment
- Imagine working in a startup in the ML/AI platforms domain tasked with processing the plethora of payment data that comes to Visa on a daily basis
- Observe the thriving open source projects in the descriptive and predictive analytics space and bring it into Visa to further enrich customer offerings
- Must love coding – prepare to spend 80% of the time on hands-on development with development teams
- Deliver end-to-end applications and frameworks ranging from system programming to micro-services to simple front-end applications
- Be responsible for automated deployment of the product through CICD-based deployments into Kubernetes
- Security-first mindset to ensure that any software built will satisfy Visa’s stringent security standards
- Mentor/manage team members, develop procedures and best practices standards
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- Active development experience with Java/C++, Python, Anaconda, Spark, Hive, Kafka
- Can navigate a Linux terminal with ease
- Relational database and SQL development experience required
- Understanding best practices for Big Data (in Hadoop), data warehousing, consumer analytics, knowledge management and near real time data processing (in Flink or Spark Streaming)
- Hands-on experience in developing and managing development of Data Integration applications for large corporations with experience in both batch and online systems.
- Have experience building a data integration tool is a big plus
- In-depth knowledge of the software development life cycle required
- Strong communication skills with ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
- Proactive sense of urgency and “can do” attitude
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.