Lead Software Engineer - C, C++
- Reading, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Lead Software Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of our Clearing and Settlement Product Development Team (in Network Processing) to help design, enhance and build our Real-Time Settlement application. You will work with colleagues closely in order to create design documents, code, test, and implement new features, as well as modifications, and corrections to existing software. In this role you will provide technology leadership in development of Business Enhancement projects by helping to drive project planning, estimation, and technology planning.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Collaborate with business units and technical staff to define requirements/modifications for use in designing appropriate solutions.
- Take ownership and/or leads the engineering responsibility for multiple components in a project.
- Coordinate engineering activities across the delivery of the project and work with engineers to ensure they are delivering quality and efficiently against project requirements.
- Evaluate options and provide recommendation on scope and scale of effort required to develop solutions.
- Leads and/or supports both product and technical discussions about how to apply existing and/or new technology in support of the business.
- Create design documents, code, unit/functional test, document and implement new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
- Build and maintain effective relationships across disciplines in order to provide superior product support.
- Analyze Business request; articulate/communicate results to the global business to influence and advice based on in-depth CAS system knowledge and experience.
- Support and deliver on resulting initiatives from the Business Plan and Technology strategy demonstrating re-use, eliminating duplicative components, architectural design, and use of innovative products.
- Suggest and cultivate ideas on the extension of the current systems to new products and services.
- Must be able to understand the positioning of a solution within the company and to build consensus to effectively gain buy-in from all participants.
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards, processes and systems.
- Expected to manage the risk of design, development and implementation of functionality in CAS processing impacting customers and consumers
- Ability to provide rotational 24/7 on call support for problem resolution
Thinking about careers differently...
At Visa, we are passionate to offer our employees compelling career growth opportunities. As such, even if you do not have experience of this function there could be skills or experiences, which would transfer well. For this role, the key skills required are:
- Extensive work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or mid-level experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or experience with a PhD
- Mid-level experience in application development on MVS systems
- Mid-level experience in developing electronic payment systems
- Well versed in and have a detailed understanding of the payment card industry and Visa’s Clearing and Settlement Domain
- Mid-level C, C++ and Assembler experience in the MVS environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi task and handle multiple competing priorities with minimal direction from management. Should possess excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to understand systems from all levels, from the "big picture" enterprise-level view to the low-level technical view.
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Work with stakeholders (business/product) and the architecture and consulting group to develop and refine technical specifications
- Establish a working relationship with other groups across the organisation to successfully implement business requirements while applying the latest available tools and technology
- Ensure on-schedule delivery of a high-quality product that meets technical requirements
- Clearly communicate to management on the status of projects or other issues
- Ability to represent technical and business issues and solutions to multiple levels internally and externally to support strategic organisational plan
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.