Senior Systems Engineer
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Senior Systems Engineer – Unix/Linux, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
Visa's Distributed Systems Architecture & Engineering (DSAE) team collaborates with product development teams, and other teams within the Operations & Infrastructure organisation on engineering, building and maintaining the most innovative, reliable, secure and cost-effective distributed solutions to meet VISA customers’ growing needs.
This is an individual contributor role responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify creative solutions. This role serves as a technical and functional specialist and works independently with mentorship only in the most complex situations.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Work in a complex, highly-secure, and highly available operations environments and interacting with the technology domain authorities required to maintain those environments
- Function as the compute lead on critical infrastructure projects and initiatives
- Write technical design and build documentation for compute infrastructure
- Develop ITIL procedures, technology strategy, engineering standards, methodologies, task-plans and standard methodologies for Distributed Compute Engineering
- Collaborate with partner Engineering Disciplines to develop Infrastructure Building Blocks based Reference Architectures and standards that can be offered as services to our customers
What we’re after…
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field is required
- Extensive solid experience working in complex / geographically distributed Windows / Linux environments.
- Hands on experience in an IT Engineering role and established IT operations methodology experience (e.g. ITSM/ITIL)
- Expert Level experience working with Red Hat / Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux operating systems
- Expert level experience working with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems
- Extensive Experience Designing and deploying complex centralised logging infrastructure utilising Splunk / Syslog-NG / Windows Event Log
- Expert level experience working with and writing SPL (Splunk Processing Language)
- Strong Experience designing cloud based solutions using AWS / Azure / Google Cloud.
- Extensive Experience in scripting using Bash / Powershell
- Good designing, analytical, programming & communication skills needed along with aptitude for building stable solutions
- Highly motivated, enterprising, excellent team player, also able to work autonomously
- Knowledge of key Data Centreconcepts such as Disaster Recovery, Compliance, Elasticity, Monitoring, and Consolidation
- Proven accomplishments and success in customising, integrating and implementing enterprise solutions.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.