Staff Database Engineer - Microsoft SQL Server
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to Microsoft SQL Server Database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architect, solution engineering, and support; will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Primarily the architecture, engineering, deployment and support of MSSQL database technology. Support Database Administration and Engineering in the architecture, design, development and deployment, and management of Microsoft SQL database environments. This includes the advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Collaborate with all interested parties, gather requirements and provide recommendation for database standards.
- Provide technical expertise to design the most efficient and cost effective solutions for Microsoft SQL Servers.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain MSSQL databases in production and non-production environments.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure operations and engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA's and performance target set.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Implementation/Support of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, encryption, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Manage, support and maintain Microsoft SQL Server database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in On-Call.
- Regular database capacity planning and archival solution related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Provide DBA support for enterprise monitoring, backup, alerting, and security compliance solutions for SQL servers.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of database issues.
- Write/maintain PowerShell scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
- Advance experience with automation of managerial and repetitive DBA tasks.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience with Microsoft SQL server technologies (all core areas: SSMS, SQL clustering, Data Synchronization, Encryption, Partitioning, Performance, Security, SSAS, SSIS and SSRS configuration) is mandatory.Sound knowledge of all windows and SQL utilities; strong PowerShell knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Solid understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Strong Powershell Scripting to automate SQL Server related tasks
- Strong experience with TSQL Skills are prefered
- Solid knowledge in database replication technologies including Always-on, GoldenGate, etc. and strong architectural/engineering skills to design systems that meet various applications High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements.
- Have good experience in engineering processes supporting repetitive or frequent tasks in database administration or deployment.
- Solid understanding and experience in maintain MSSQL technology lifecycle, and automation of MSSQL deployment.
- Good engineering skills in developing enterprise solutions to support MSSQL in areas like backup, monitoring/alerting, security compliance, patching, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- A good team player, leader, flexible, share knowledge, help others, collaborate well within and outside the team.
- Work experience in a Financial Institute will be preferred.
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- May require some after business hours coverage.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.