Staff Data Engineer - Global Merchant Depository, Data Product Development
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Global Merchant Repository (GMR) is responsible for building Visa's Merchant repository that supports Visa's clients, 3rd parties and Visa Applications by using our extraordinarily rich data asserts, 3rd party data using information retrieval techniques, machine learning algorithms combined with NLP techniques.
Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for helping building the next generation of our Merchant Repository. You will improve the quality, coverage and attributes of GMR and effectively model merchant behavior and analytics in the complex payment ecosystem... You will get the chance to leverage your business acumen and technical knowledge of big data and data mining techniques. Based on deep understanding and knowledge of big-data engineering techniques, you will develop and maintain data and tools to enable users and application to draw fact based insights and build models This function is critical in building market-relevant client solutions and intellectual property for Visa.
The position will be based at Visa's Silicon Valley labs in Palo Alto CA
1. Design, develop and code solutions for challenging problems in GMR using information retrieval, NLP and Big Data (Spark/Scala) technologies
2. Analyze data at scale to identify patterns, use cases that need to be addressed.
3. Build NLP and ML models to solve challenging problems in entity detection, clustering, classification etc.
4. Participate in solution design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
5. Build solutions conforming to Visa technology and security standards and industry standard release processes
6. Support existing Production systems and answer data/system queries from internal and external clients of GMR
7. Collaborate with stakeholders (Business owners, Architects, Analysts, Developers, Project Managers, and others) in the creation of solutions for complex, global business problems. Participate in scrum teams, agile ceremonies and roadmap discussions.
4 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of relevant work experience with an Advanced degree.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in production ETL pipelines, utilizing big data engineering techniques that enable statistical solutions to solve business problems
- Post graduate degree in Computer Science/ Engineering, Information Science or a related discipline with strong technical experiences highly desired
- Previous exposure to financial services, credit cards or merchant analytics is a plus, but not required
- Extensive experience with SQL and big data technologies (Hadoop, Python , Java, Spark, Hive etc.) tools for large scale data processing, data transformation and machine learning pipelines
- Experience with one or more of NLP, Machine learning (clustering, classification, neural nets) is required
- Familiarity or experience with data mining and statistical modeling (e.g., regression modeling, clustering techniques, decision trees, etc.) is required
- Ability to orient data engineering to the business needs of internal clients
- Demonstrated analytical rigor with a strong attention to detail
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.