Software Engineering Manager, DevOps
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
Open VisaNet, the Next Generation payment processing platform for Visa, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa’s Key initiative that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Kafka, Cassandra, OpenShift, Splunk, Sysdig etc.
Visa is looking for an experienced DevOps leader who will help build Open VisaNet, Visa’s Next generation payment processing platform developed on Open Systems, that would fuel growth in electronic payments globally and drive financial inclusion in many parts of the world.
- Provide leadership and oversight to a team of software engineers building solutions and capabilities at scale and high engineering and quality standards.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to understand business problems and then design and develop required solutions.
- Provide technical thought leadership towards solving problems for the team.
- Drive the adoption of key engineering best practices to improve quality and reliability of team's deliverables.
- Responsible for keeping the team engaged, motivated and operating with a high execution velocity.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring of direct reports.
- Develop and nurture team of developers by motivating, mentoring, and assist in hiring critical talent.
- Design, develop and evolve highly scalable and fault-tolerant distributed components and solutions using core DevOps principles.
- Experience with CI/CD practices, pipelines and workflows.
- Lead developer productivity projects in the areas of Automated deployment, Continuous integration, Continuous delivery and release engineering.
- Automation scripting experience with Unix Shell (bash, ksh), Python, Perl, Java, Go or Node.js.
- Experience with configuration automation tools (Puppet/Ansible/Chef/Salt).
- Engagement with Operations & Infrastructure teams, developers, architects and other stakeholders.
- Championing & driving application, infrastructure security efforts.
- Understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review. Collaborate with security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- Good understanding of Linux fundamentals, very good troubleshooting skills.
- Good experience in observability of Systems.
- Responsible for the stability and high availability of lower environments.
- Support in triaging and troubleshooting of highly distributed services in production environment.
- Design and implement APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems.
- Extraordinary software engineering talent.
- Minimum of 10 years’ DevOps experience.
- Proficiency in scripting languages.
- Hands-on experience with Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience in automation software such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet etc.
- Good understanding of DevOps tools and automation framework.
- Experience in working in highly agile environment.
- Understanding of self-healing/immutable microservice based architectures, cloud platforms, clustering models, networking technologies.
- Experience with operating system internals, file systems, disk/storage and networking protocols.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related degree from recognized university.
- Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally.
- 2+ years of people management experience in agile software development.
- Dynamic leader who has directly managed team of highly competent developers in fast paced work environment.
- Experience in Splunk, Sysdig, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Grafana etc. is a big plus.
- Experience with Docker Networking, Service Mesh, Proxies is a big plus.
- Certifications from CNCF - CKA / CKAD is a big plus.
- Experience designing large scale distributed systems with deep understanding of design impacts on performance, reliability, operations, and security is a big plus.
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.