Chief Software Engineer, DevOps
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiative that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Scala, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Aerospike, Elasticsearch etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure and solution architects.
Visa is looking for a hands on and versatile DevOps Chief Engineer, who will help build Open VisaNet, Visa's Next generation payment processing platform developed on Open Systems, that would fuel growth in electronic payments globally and drive financial inclusion in many parts of the world. Senior DevOps leaders with significant experience in building cloud based platforms either in public or private cloud domains are preferred. We are looking for candidates who have strong technology foundation and previous hands on design/coding skills for this role.
Selected candidate will be leading one of the most talented team of software engineers in Visa building its core payment engine and application delivery platforms. You will also have an opportunity to make a large impact across Visa as we re-architect its core payment platform. We build and support a variety of technologies that span multiple continents, deploying code dozens of times each day.
- Provide leadership and oversight to a team of DevOps engineers across the globe building solutions and capabilities at scale with high engineering and quality standards.
- Serve as key leader and expert on DevOps practices and responsible for the overall deployment architecture of Open Visanet
- Engage with cross-functional teams in design, development and implementation of state-of-the-art DevOps capabilities related to enabling higher developer productivity, environment monitoring and self-healing
- Lead and contribute to design of operations, solving complex technical challenges around shared services and engineering productivity and velocity.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation; evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and availability.
- Design and build automated code deployment systems that simplify development work and make our work more consistent and predictable.
- Design and implement APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve Continuous integration, continuous testing, continuous deployment problems
- Work closely with Operations & Infrastructure teams, developers and other stakeholders for cross-functional development activities.
- Championing & driving application, infrastructure & enterprise security efforts, certificate management etc.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and launch reviews.
- Responsible for the stability and high availability of lower environments.
- Drive Automated deployment, Continuous integration, Continuous delivery and release engineering to Development, QA and Production environments.
- Contribute to efficient development process pipeline by leveraging best-in-class CI/CD tools.
- Ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
- Schedule, implement, and automate security compliance patching and updates on Development and QA servers.
- Responsible for deploying code and other proactive maintenance activities to keep the services up and running
- Ensuring proper documentation and internal publishing of design trade-offs, code best practices and lessons learned.
- 18+ years track record of relevant work experience designing, building and managing highly distributed systems
- Experience in implementing DevOps practices and tools to drive environment automation
- Hands-on experience in managing enterprise class production systems in public or private cloud environments with Docker and Kubernetes required
- Strong knowledge of working with DevOps design patterns, processes and best practices
- Working familiarity with the entire software development lifecycle including version control, build process, testing, and code release.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with DevOps techniques building continuous integration solutions using Jenkins, Docker, Git, Maven
- Understanding of self-healing/immutable microservice based architectures, cloud platforms, clustering models, networking technologies required.
- Experience with distributed database, distributed computing and high frequency transactions is a big plus.
- Hands on, deep expertise in at least one programming language required, Java or Golang preferred
- Must be proficient in one or more scripting languages: Unix Shell, Perl, Python
- Working experience in cloud computing, PaaS, IaaS, and related areas are highly desirable
- Hands-on experience in Splunk, Sysdig, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Grafana etc. is a big plus.
- Previous experience with financial services or payments processing domain is an advantage
- Experience with operating system internals, file systems, disk/storage and networking protocols.
- Effective verbal and written communication and collaboration skills.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related degree from recognized university.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.