Senior Business Development Manager, Government Relations
- Bucharest, Romania
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa South East Europe team as a Senior Government Business Development Manager, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
South East Europe Strategy and Business Development team comprises of a highly motivated bunch of problem solvers who create impactful experiences for our clients positioned across 9 countries. Here at Visa, we strive to excel with our partners and via strong collaboration, we look to enable and inspire all players in the ecosystem to build a cashless ecosystem through digitalization, while increasing revenues and seeding new markets for Visa. As one of our key stakeholder in the ecosystem, we aim to help governments and public sector in adopting a digital economy by:
- Converting from paper-based to electronic payments to create cost savings and efficiencies
- Improving delivery and reception government payments to and from citizens and businesses
- Driving financial inclusion for unbanked/underbanked citizens by leveraging Visa solutions
- Combat corruption by minimizing reliance on cash and driving card acceptance
Visa relies on its products and complex project delivery skills to provide local and national public entities with turn-key solutions addressing their needs on payment flows that matter to them. If you are business savvy with public sector industry experience and have the technical background necessary to help further establish Visa as a leading payments solutions partner in South East Europe, you should apply.
This is a brand-new exciting role we have ventured into, and it will be an opportunity to be the connector between Visa and the Government entities across 9 countries within South East Europe, being able to showcase Visa capabilities. It will be responsible for all government relationships with the regulators, government entities, and related entities, across sales and/or solution design, business development, and program oversight. Considering its importance and numerous untapped opportunities in public sector, it lies at the heart of our intent to scale our business across all key markets and regions to drive revenue, market relevance and social impact. It will be regionally deployed and focuses on a select number of priority markets, segments and clients, directly agreed with the senior leadership in the region. You will work closely with key functions in Visa such as the Merchant Solutions & Acquiring, Consumer and Business Solutions teams, Marketing and Sales to identify areas of opportunity for digitisation of economy in partnership with Government as client.
Candidate should be open for understanding and anticipating different political dynamics in 9 different markets. General know-how on typical government & Public Sector acquisition guidelines and experience with government RFx compliance requirements is of paramount importance. Considering diverse geographical coverage with 9 countries, candidate is not expected to know specifics of each country with respect to political dynamics and RFx processes however will be expected to build a quick know-how and expertise in short amount of time.
Candidate will serve as a key leader of the Visa South East Europe team supporting business strategy and new business development, identifying and responding to RFx opportunities. Identify, manage and execute the RFx proposal response plans while working with key internal stakeholders (e.g. client sales and account teams, etc.). Develop innovative strategies working with Visa teams specific to RFx opportunities. Understand and navigate government contracting vehicles and procedures. Be a thought leader with respect to value adding to the South East Europe ecosystem by working closely to displace cash and improve penetration of CCE and PCE.
- Develop and execute regional government strategy:
- Develop a deep understanding of regional, national and local priorities.
- Engage regional, divisional and market leadership to prioritize opportunities
- Identify, qualify, develop, and close market-wide or use-case based solutions for government clients on both a solicited an unsolicited basis
- Lead design of strategic and commercial initiatives for the cluster, focusing on creating sustainable, scalable and repeatable business models.
- Develop a solid projects pipeline, drive conversion over time and secure revenues
- Engage region leadership to drive a region-wide Government Engagement steerco
- Negotiate and secure local support of resources, aligning them to execution
- Secure global and regional resources to execute on the plan and drive marquee wins
- Work with key stakeholders to look at how Visa can be involved in the open data/open banking platform and ACH payment flows
- Drive strategic alignment with global units
- Drive sales engagement on key government opportunities, developing the business opportunities across the market / region, assisting country managers and helping win strategic deals
- Participate actively, and lead if needed, in the design of strategic and commercial initiatives for the cluster, focusing on creating sustainable, scalable and repeatable business models
- Build relationships with government agencies and identify opportunities where Visa can help champion Visa’s strategic vision in digitization of economy
- Work with core clients targeting their government / SOEs portfolio, focused on driving usage, user experience, new product solutions and cross-border transactions
- Orchestrate Visa’s engagement with market / regional government and associated agencies
- Cultivate relationship with government stakeholders in partnership with government engagement teams, creating vision for holistic solution supportive of digitization of economy
- Identify new payment flows interacting with issuers, and develop CVPs for government segments differentiated by departments / payment flows
- Develop collateral, internal and external product content, collaborating with in-country, regional and global product partners and other stakeholders
- The support to the regional and global communities of practice to cross-fertilize regional and global best practices
- Support the governments’ digital SME agendas if available and/or if not available help governments to build programs that aims to help SMEs use digital technologies and build stronger digital capabilities to seize growth opportunities in the digital economy
- Assess opportunities to introduce relevant Visa solutions to government agencies and provide thought leadership, sponsorship and advocacy
- Develop and monitor account plans and KPIs, as well as the program management of the partnership in all of its stages: Discover, Qualify, Prioritize, Plan, Execute, Codify (for new types of opportunities)
- Support development of Quarterly Business Reviews and Annual Budget Planning exercises for the local market
- Key Deliverables are but not limited to as per below:
- Lead generation and management as well as development of a BD pipeline and account plans for key accounts
- Development of pitch decks and customer-centric narratives, solutions and value propositions
- Ongoing monitoring and reporting, in coordination with market and regional units, across country initiatives
- On a regular basis, demand analysis for existing and future Visa solutions
- Communication to Country Managers, RMD, and in-country teams on program status, risks & gaps, as well as escalation management
- Senior level experience in government/ SOE/ Public Sector management, with focus on payments/ financial services industry, process improvement and transformative change initiatives
- Mid- to senior level proven track in leading and closing large and complex government deals in the region
- Proven business development mindset to drive and build momentum and deliver results
- Proven experience in engaging very senior government leaders to build durable relations.
- Proven record of implementing strategic initiatives, policies and operational decisions for the government/ SOE segment
- Understand the political structure and regulatory landscape of the local market and how it operates, key players and influencers
- Deep expertise in navigating government agencies and procedures
- Solid understanding of the digital payments landscape and government agenda on digitization of economy
- Consultative selling focused, with deep product, services, and solutions expertise
- Ability to lead complex regional initiatives that require collaboration across functional, geographical and cultural lines
- Demonstrated ability to work across divisional boundaries, within the region, acting as peer to other senior leaders
- Self-motivated, thrives in a fast paced environment; readiness to take-on stretch goals.
- Strong gravitas, exceptional relationship management, influencing and communication skills.
- Undergraduate degree required. MBA or graduate degree preferred.
- English fluency is required. At least one other regional language a strong plus
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.