Engineering Manager, Open VisaNet
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiative that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Scala, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Aerospike, Elasticsearch etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure and solution architects.
Reporting to Director of Engineering, Open VisaNet the Engineering Manager will be responsible for developing the payment applications for the Open VisaNet solution. This role is a managerial and hands-on technology role. S/he will closely work with teams in multiple locations for developing and executing a shared strategic vision for a mission-critical high-volume low-latency platform that enables core Visa Payments processing.
- Develop and nurture team of developers by motivating, mentoring, and assist in hiring critical talent.
- Manage geographically remote team.
- Perform regular 1:1 meetings with team members and compose annual performance evaluations.
- Guiding developers in day to day design and coding tasks, stepping into code if needed.
- Design, develop and evolve highly scalable and fault-tolerant distributed components using functional programming paradigm.
- Design and implement APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems.
- Understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review. Collaborate with security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- Ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
- Collaborate with team to build performance test suite. Run simulations with high throughput workload, analyze performance simulation results to fine tune component design and implementation.
- Contribute to efficient development process pipeline by leveraging best-in-class CI/CD tools.
- Ensuring proper documentation on internal wiki and publishing of design tradeoffs, code best practices and lessons learned.
- Lead troubleshooting sessions dissecting solutions for bottlenecks and issues.
- Oversee end-to-end project delivery mitigating technical challenges and schedule slippage along the way.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- 2+ years of experience in leading Agile teams.
- Experience in software development lifecycle including design, coding, version control, build process, testing, and code release.
- Prior experience must include leadership role for mission-critical system applications supporting high transaction systems.
- Knowledge of functional programming languages like GoLang, Scala, Haskell, Clojure, or the ability to learn them quickly
- Must be high impact individual with deep technology background and the ability to engage in high bandwidth conversations with engineers and executives alike.
- Team player and passionate for building a culture of innovation and flawless execution.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, recruit, grow and retain high-caliber talent at scale. Experienced organizing, running, supporting, and growing large technology organization.
- Must demonstrate longer-term strategic thinking and staying ahead of state-of-the-art curve in order to keep abreast with what’s possible technically, operationally and professionally.
- Capable of forming and advocating independent viewpoint. Demonstrate strong skills influencing, negotiating and communicating.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.