Senior Competition Lawyer
- Brussels, Belgium
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
What's it all about?
Visa Europe is looking to recruit a Senior Competition Lawyer for its friendly team based in London. The role will offer very high quality work in relation to a wide range of competition issues that are relevant to the company’s business.
The role would suit confident, commercially focused self-starters who have a strong academic background in and good experience of EU and national competition law, including its application to new business initiatives and behavioural investigations. Candidates should be able to build relationships with individuals at all levels within a multinational company, and have a track record of advising on complex, competition law matters. Applications will be welcomed from those who also have experience of sectoral regulation, in particular telecoms, as well as competition litigation.
Day to day duties:
- Provide competition law advice in relation to all aspects of Visa’s business including new business initiatives and with a commercial focus
- Work with considerable authority and autonomy to provide legal advice on complex cases, within the context of competition law, which may have significant implications for Visa Europe’s business performance
- Interact effectively with competition authorities and regulators at a European and domestic level
- Work to raise the awareness of competition law issues within Visa Europe and able to engage effectively with colleagues at different levels of seniority
- Appoint, instruct and manage external legal resources in a cost effective manner.
- Accountable for the effective management of a budget
- Potential for some supervisory responsibility of a team of lawyers, paralegals and administrative staff
Thinking about careers differently...
For this role the key skills required are...
- Mid-level lawyer with post-qualification experience of EU competition law and its domestic equivalents in either private practice, in-house or with a regulator
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as on own initiative
- Strong commercial focus and ability to explain complex issues to a non-legal audience
- People management skills
- Ability to work independently and proven senior stakeholder management expertise
- An interest in technology and its application to payments
- Some experience of competition litigation, public law, or regulatory regimes would be advantageous
- A second European language would be welcome
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.