Staff Data Engineer, Big Data - Data Platform
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes thousands of transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
- Build and expand on Visa Data Platform’s Kubernetes-based Machine Learning Platform and Airflow Workflow Engine within an agile collaboration environment
- Imagine working in a startup in the ML/AI platforms domain tasked with processing the plethora of payment data that comes to Visa on a daily basis
- Observe the thriving open source projects in the descriptive and predictive analytics space and bring it into Visa to further enrich customer offerings
- Must love coding – prepare to spend 80% of the time on hands-on development with development teams
- Deliver end-to-end applications and frameworks ranging from system programming to micro-services to simple front-end applications
- Be responsible for automated deployment of the product through CICD-based deployments into Kubernetes
- Security-first mindset to ensure that any software built will satisfy Visa’s stringent security standards
- Mentor/manage team members, develop procedures and best practices standards
- 6 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 3 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 8-10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 5-7 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- Active development experience with Java/C++, Python, Anaconda, Spark, Hive, Kafka
- Can navigate a Linux terminal with ease
- Relational database and SQL development experience required
- Understanding best practices for Big Data (in Hadoop), data warehousing, consumer analytics, knowledge management and near real time data processing (in Flink or Spark Streaming)
- Hands-on experience in developing and managing development of Data Integration applications for large corporations with experience in both batch and online systems.
- Have experience building a data integration tool is a big plus
- In-depth knowledge of the software development life cycle required
- Strong communication skills with ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
- Proactive sense of urgency and “can do” attitude
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Position Location: position and incumbent must be based in Palo Alto, CA. Visa will not provide relocation assistance in connection with this position.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.