Staff Research Scientist, Deep Learning - Visa Research
- Palo Alto, CA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
As a Visa Research Scientist you will conduct world-class research and contribute to the advancement of digital payments, as well as deliver unique proposals on Visa's technological goals. You will work closely with fellow researchers, product teams, and business teams to ensure the successful creation and application of disruptive and innovative technologies.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision as the world leader in digital payments. The successful candidate must have an outstanding track record in fundamental and applied research in developing innovations. The candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and excellent collaboration skills.
- Research and develop cutting-edge technologies across a large spectrum of disciplines.
- Deliver high-impact intellectual property values through research publications and patents.
- Collaborate with team members to deliver innovative technologies, insights and products to Visa business units to resolve their significant product pain-points and create new growth opportunities.
- Collaborate with our partners in academia, industry and government on key initiatives to advance our research goals.
- Work with team members and cross-functional teams (internal/external) that include representation from Technology, Product, Operations, Market Research, etc.
- Foster in-depth and productive relationships at all levels with team members and clients internally and externally.
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or highly quantitative field (or equivalent experience) with strength in Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistical or other mathematical analysis.
- 2+ years of work experience and PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or highly quantitative field (or equivalent experience) with strength in Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistical or other mathematical analysis.
- Experience in developing machine learning and/or deep learning solutions in related domains.
- 1+ years hands-on experience in deep learning algorithms and techniques, e.g., graph convolutional networks (GCN), convolutional neural networks (CNN), recurrent networks (RNN) and/or related areas.
- Publications track record in machine learning conferences and/or journals.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at conferences such as NIPS, ICML, KDD, WWW, AAAI, SysML, RecSys or similar
- Programming experience and experience with deep learning framework for prototyping ideas.
- Strong track record in research publications and impact in the research community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate.
- Demonstrated research project/program management experience is a plus.
- Experience in graph neural network or related fields is a plus.
- Experience in payments or related industry is a plus.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.