Director, Risk Management
- Beijing, China
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa is looking for an energetic Risk Services Director to join our China Risk team.
The Visa Risk Services team in China partners with internal and external stakeholders for championing security in the markets and maintaining the integrity of the digital payment ecosystem. Reporting to Visa’s Regional Risk Officer, the Visa risk services team is responsible for strategic risk management for the business, credit settlement risk, brand protection, supervisory risk, fraud management and data security across the market.
What a Risk Services Director does at Visa:
Reporting to the China Chief Risk Officer, the Risk Services Director will be entrusted with a broad portfolio of responsibilities including Strategic Risk Management for the business, Credit Settlement Risk and Ecosystem Risk (Fraud & Data Security) across China.
In addition to overseeing Strategic Risk Management, the Risk Services Director will have sub-regional responsibility for championing security in the industry and maintaining the integrity of the payments ecosystem. This complex and fast evolving ecosystem includes issuing and acquiring banks, merchants, cardholders, and service providers such as processors, device manufacturers, and payment gateways.
Why this is important to Visa
The successful candidate must collaborate effectively with the China Leadership Team, Visa Asia Pacific (AP) hub & global functions including Technology, Innovation, Corporate Relations, Client Services, Global Product and Merchant Sales & Acquiring.
The Risk Services Director will develop security priorities and execute strategies to prevent fraud, enhance user authentication, safeguard sensitive data, identify and respond to data breaches and prevent the misuse of the payment system for unlawful purposes. The Risk Services Director will also be responsible for representing Visa’s Credit Settlement Risk policy so as to protect Visa against financial loss in the case of a failure of an issuing or acquiring bank.
The Risk Services Director will play an important role in shaping Visa’s enterprise and operational risk strategies during a period of rapid innovation in the payments industry. From enabling new channels (e.g. eCommerce/ mCommerce) to incorporating new technologies (e.g., Tokenization, EMV 3DS) and expanding payment ecosystem (e.g. 3rd party service providers, regulators), the Risk Services Director will have the opportunity to help clients to mitigate risks and innovate responsibly. He/she will be a catalyst for transforming the China risk strategy and solutions for issuers, acquirers and merchants, with the end goal of championing payments security & forging deeper client relationships
• Develop and execute a comprehensive risk plan that is consistent with local market landscape, country priorities and global risk strategy.
1. Execute both internal and external risk management programs
2. Lead client forums (China Payments Risk Council, etc.)
3. Promote & support client adoption of Visa risk products / solutions / initiatives
4. Identify new, creative "win-win" methods to reduce and mitigate payment system risk, fraud and cardholder data security risks
5. Serve as a trusted & strategic advisor to the GC Group Country Manager on all risk issues.
• Prepare reports, briefings and other written products to update executive management on risk activities, issues and opportunities.
1. Convey risk-related trends and developments to local country manager and leadership team through regular reporting
2. Synthesize marketplace feedback regarding the effectiveness of Visa’s risk management strategy and programs; benchmark Visa’s performance relative to other payment networks and participants
3. Guide Visa’s proactive risk communications and collaboration across all of these stakeholders so as to advance the safety, security and long-term growth of the Visa payment system
• Lead the responsible innovation initiative by assisting Visa and its clients mitigate risks and embrace new technology improvements.
1. Assess emerging/innovation risks and new business models
2. Leverage local insights to contribute to Risk thought leadership
3. Guide clients through payment innovation complexity
• Manage relationships with issuers, acquirers, merchants, payment processors, service providers, regulators and law enforcement to:
1. Resolve fraud & data breach events
2. Provide stakeholder training
3. Respond to adhoc queries & analytics requirements
4. Identify opportunities to enhance the payment ecosystem and advance risk management best practice
5. Support constructive relationships with local market regulators and law enforcement agencies
What you will need:
12+ years of experience in leadership across technology products/ solutions, or similar years of experience in a leadership position within a financial institution, potentially as a key customer for Visa’s services on the client side.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished enterprise and operational risk leader with deep experience in the payments industry. While candidates with payments experience (networks, processors, financial institutions) are preferred, candidates from other multi-national, technology based, transactional businesses (e.g. large retailers) would also be considered. Finally, Visa may consider candidates with a track record for leading within a sound, well respected, multi-national, regulated business.
Regardless of the business pedigree, candidates must possess a deep intellect capable of understanding both current and emerging risks facing the business. Candidates must also demonstrate a track record for using that understanding to develop effective risk mitigation strategies and to sell those strategies to colleagues internally. The ability to influence senior level decision makers and to partner closely with the business is most critical.
Finally, a high degree of self-confidence, humility and energy will be essential to succeed in a fast paced and evolving industry.
Professional Experience Required:
• Track record for successfully identifying and mitigating enterprise and operational risk for a complex, global company in a regulated industry.
• Experience protecting consumer and corporate data through the development and implementation of rigorous compliance & rules management processes.
• Demonstrated approach to risk management contributing to brand and business growth.
Strategic and Analytic Skills
• Understands both at a strategic and operational level the myriad risks facing the business; drives down to root causes to assess the severity of the risk, the cost of remediation, and develops an appropriate action plan.
• Maintains strong personal base of knowledge with respect to risk management, industry practices, trends, and issues.
Collaboration and Communication
• Works cross-functionally with technology and with business unit heads to deliver insights that drive key business strategies and decisions.
• Works effectively with clients and external stakeholders – banks, processors, regulators.
• Proven ability to influence, collaborate, and work in matrix environment.
Executing for Results
• Intellectually curious; finds stories in the data, asks the right questions, demonstrated track record of mining data & intelligence for game-changing insights that generate big impacts.
• Gets things done; relentlessly focuses on results; aligns efforts with business objectives.
• Provides leadership, sets vision, and motivates a team.
• Experience developing talent and infusing knowledge and experience across wider organization.
What will also help:
• Global and deep knowledge of the payments industry and the major trends affecting the major stakeholders, including regulatory, market environment, competitive landscape, technology and the rising threat of data breaches.
• Solid general management background, with proven track record in strategic thinking, financial planning, risk management, relationship building and project leadership.
• Extensive international experience or work experience in a multinational corporation preferred.
• Undergraduate degree from top-tier institution required. Graduate degree with a focus on general management will be preferred.
Projects you will be a part of:
You will be engaged in cross functional and cross regional roles interacting with Global colleagues to roll out security by design risk products and services. You will be a critical resource championing Visa’s Security Thought Leadership in the markets as you continue to work with clients, payment partners, regulators and Governments to ensure that the payments ecosystem remains safe and ahead of attempts by fraudsters.