Senior Director, Head of Design, Asia Pacific
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa’s Product Design & Architecture team is at the forefront of a pivotal transformation for the organization. We are committed to evolving a market led and customer centred product development practice, to lead the next decade of payments innovation in AP.
Based in Singapore and Beijing, we are a team of product strategists, designers and solution architects. We work with markets and our regional as well as global product and development teams to identify, design, solution for, and build enhanced and new payment capabilities.
From consumer and digital, to business, processing and data, join our exciting mission to incubate and accelerate regional products that deliver frictionless and trusted commerce and payment experiences.
What a Senior Director, Head of Design, does at Visa:
As Senior Director of (Product) User Experience Design Services, you will lead a small, dynamic team of design and product experts with the purpose of delivering great commerce and payment experiences to our customers. You will lead and shape the product design practice, from growing a human centred design culture, to driving service design strategies, agile design operations and maturing our design squad capabilities.
As a customer experience champion working in a matrixed organization at enterprise scale, you will mentor and coach product, design and tech cross-functional teams on the business-critical role of design, and also engage clients and partners on regional strategic initiatives, ensuring visibility and impact of our design services.
Your design vision will help drive the growth of innovative, customer-centred products and platforms, that scale our network, and strengthen our ecosystem.
Key responsibilities for the Senior Director, Head of Design:
- Help establish a strong strategic service design approach to new products strategy
- Drive design advocacy, and a customer centred mindset across functions, foster a deep and rewarding partnership with our product owners, data scientists, business analysts, engineers, marketers, and our customers.
- Lead collaborative co-designing practices and thought leadership with our clients and partners, be responsible for creating alignment, focus, and accountability among a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders throughout the design engagement process.
- Build cross-functional, agile design processes and put in place key design tools, to support from discovery to delivery, ensure product and tech teams have the design resources they need, to deliver great products.
- Lead data-led, differentiated and impactful user experiences aligned to business KPIs and brand mission, use and contribute to our design systems.
- Cultivate an inclusive feedback-oriented team culture, mentor a team of UX/UI designers and user researchers, and build a strong community, together with design leaders from other regions.
- Support key strategic goals of the organization across regional RFPs and deals.
- Act as a change agent, sparking fresh ideas that are infused in our culture and our products.
Why this is important to Visa
The AP payments landscape is seeing fast-paced innovation and disruption, with new regulations around open banking, open data and the emergence of Fintech and Bigtech players in this space – market dynamics are varied and complex, and digital commerce and payments products, along with customer behaviors and expectations, are rapidly evolving.
Visa with its reach, relationships and technology network, is perfectly positioned to design the next generation of customer-centered financial service products that can help all stakeholders across the ecosystem navigate these opportunities and challenges, from helping our clients retain and acquire new customers, innovate in new business focus areas and grow revenues.
The next decade in payments will be driven by the orchestration of data with customer experience. The Senior Director, Head of Design, plays a transformational role in leading this change, as Visa builds the financial services ecosystem of the future.
You are a full-stack user experience design leader with product design and delivery experience, bringing hands-on human centered design thinking, UX/UI, research, service design, prototyping, facilitation, and strong client-facing workshop skills. You should have industry leading design chops, consultative design strategy experience, and a fluency to ‘speak’ to product management and technology partners. You will have a strong understanding of emerging commerce and digital payment trends and need to develop a nuanced understanding of Visa’s capabilities and services, in order to effectively leverage the right assets at the right time. This role will also include the responsibility of establishing design sprint and collaboration frameworks, co-creation tools, asset libraries, and incorporating design systems that will ultimately power the work of our practice.
Specific skill-set and experience required:
- 15+ years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 10 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MFA/MBA, etc.) – preferably working in digital product, or established startups, consultancies or agencies.
- A strategic designer, with a strong applied knowledge of user experience within new product development.
- Expert in human centered design, service design, data-driven user research, and design operations.
- Expert knowledge of interaction and visual design principles with an eye for details and consistency.
- Knowledgeable about accessibility guidelines and best practices.
- Experience launching world-class UX solutions for the web and mobile.
- Experience in building design systems & UX/CX guides.
- Deep understanding of product management and the agile process.
- Experience in leading, coaching and growing design teams.
- Cross-functional team leadership experience, with the ability to influence and mentor people across boundaries to design highly complex PoCs, pilots and products.
- Experience and proven track record facilitating workshops, demonstrating excellence in presentation, and strong client orientation.
- Understanding of the power of analytics to inform and generate insights for design.
- Understanding of commercial models, with experience in supporting on business/value cases which prove ROI.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Hands-on fluency, expertise and experience with key design tools such as Invision, Sketch, Adobe, Figma, Abstract, Principle and Mural/Miro.
- Experience in rapid PoC and pilot design and development.
- Knowledgeable in a wide variety of user research and testing methods from ethnographic research to usability, and RITE.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, and empathic interpersonal skills.
- Fully fluent in English and able to understand and be easily understood in spoken and written English.
- Ability to work independently and manage one's time.
- Willingness to travel (20%+)
What will also help:
Direct relevant experience in B2B2C product design and or payment / technology firms.
Projects you will be a part of:
Some of the products (among other) that you will lead, include:
- Multi-sided commerce marketplaces that enable personalized commerce and engagements.
- Omnichannel instalment products that enable frictionless consumer experiences.
- Data-as-a-service platforms that drive intelligent banking and lending.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.