Head of Merchant Sales & Solutions (SSA)
- Johannesburg, South Africa
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The role will be responsible for developing and executing against the Merchant Sales and Acquiring strategy in the Sub-Sahara Africa region of Visa.
- Establish the strategy for Visa to drive acceptance in both Emerging and Developed Markets.
- Provide thought leadership in markets where non-traditional partners are becoming key to expanding access – Markets like Kenya, Nigeria and Cote d'lvoire will require the development of market entry and penetration strategy going beyond BAU.
- Positioning Visa as the industry leader amongst clients, partners and peers.
- Expanding access by driving the increase of Merchant Sales Volume (MSV) and revenues. (additional acceptance locations, increased Visa usage, and additional processing volume via VisaNet)
- Driving contactless, e-Commerce, QR and new form factor acceptance in SSA.
- As a member of the SSA Leadership Team take ownership of score cards revenue and expense targets for SSA.
- Drive merchant engagement based on Visa 360 values – increasing differentiation for Visa, XB revenue, monetization of Visa Data and Consulting solutions.
- Develop and grow pipeline of merchant co brands in SSA.
- Engage with and grow Acquirer relationships in SSA. Driving compliance, sharing of best practices and differentiation for Visa.
- Working closely with country and functional teams to:
- Develop and execute the MS&A strategy and business plans including engagement plans with key merchant groups
- Driving Visa’s Scan to Pay Strategy for Acceptance
- Support the execution of Acceptance Strategy for various Government and Strategic Programs.
- Driving critical “Expand Access” plans for Emerging Markets.
- Engage with the regulator and managing IRF/Pricing and balancing the 4-Party Model
Principle Responsibilities / Key Result Areas:
- Delivery of financial / score card targets for MS&A.
- Develop and execute the strategy for growing acceptance in SSA markets with a focus on emerging markets.
- Establish an engagement model to work closely with key merchant relationships in the market.
- Use forums like the Merchant Advisory Council and Strategic Merchant Congress and eComm Summits to drive value that Visa brings to merchants, acquirers and PSPs/Payment Aggregators.
- Lead the opening of non-traditional segments like Government / Bill Payment / Fast Food / Supermarkets / Utilities / Schools / Healthcare /Fuel where there is no acceptance.
- Be a key influencer in driving the Visa strategy on IRF, Pricing and Compliance for Acquirers - thought leadership on balancing the 4-Party Model.
- Partner with country management on merchant and acceptance related matters while working the Regulators / Central Banks.
- Develop the GTM for acceptance for new / Digital form factors – Scan to Pay / mPOS / e-Commerce
- Thought leadership, planning and implementation of alternative (new to Visa) channels like Aggregators and ISOs for Scan to Pay.
- Play the role of a Functional Expert for Acquiring solutions and best practices.
Decision Making and Complexity
- Key influencer in creating market strategies.
- Decisions impact the P&L, Implementation and achievement of Visa’s objectives for SSA.
- Works independently with guidance in only the more complex situations.
- Must have the maturity to work well within a matrix management approach.
- This position jointly reports to the Head of MS&A, CEMEA and the Group General Manager for SSA (based in the Johannesburg office)
- This position will involve frequent interaction with key Visa stakeholders (CCMs, GCM, Functional Heads, MLT&CLT), Financial Institutions, Processors, the Central Bank, Acquirers, Merchants, etc.
- Manage a team spread over multiple SSA offices.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills are required to navigate the complexities of a matrix organization.
- Multicultural sensitivity, D&I mindset and leadership skills are essential including the ability to collaborate and work effectively as part of a team.
- Strategic planning, analytical thinking
- Acquiring / Merchant Sales / Acceptance Expertise
- Influencing skills
- Team work and collaboration
- Negotiation Skills
- Payments, product knowledge & expertise
- Ability to understand financial concepts
Professional and Business
- Professional Degree with at least 15 years of relevant experience
- Understanding of Credit and Debit Cards business or related Payments Industry experience
- Financial Transaction processing knowledge
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal and ability to communicate at all levels within a large organization
- Significant gravitas to be able to represent Visa at industry forums, industry partners and regulators
- Flexibility to travel around the region and internationally as required