Summer Intern, Technical Writer (Undergrad)
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Due to COVID-19 travel and entry restrictions, this year’s Internship Program is only available to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We will review and adjust this approach as appropriate for future programs.
Technical Communications Services (TCS) is responsible for most of Visa’s technical information serving both technology and business departments. With team members in California, Colorado, and Singapore, we support internal Visa teams and external Visa clients, delivering over 300 technical communications solutions each year including user, implementation, and web services guides; online help systems; SharePoint solutions; operational and departmental procedures; release notes and developer Guides; API and SDK reference materials; system process flows.
As a Summer Intern – Technical Writer, you will be involved in tasks such as research, writing, and word processing that do not require advanced knowledge of Visa’s systems. You will work closely with senior-level writers and gain hands on experience in document analysis, project management, and interact with client development groups whilst expanding your knowledge of Visa’s systems.
- Research subject matter and work with senior-level writers to obtain and exchange information and update documentation accordingly
- Work with a senior-level writer to develop the following skills:
- Analyze existing documentation for impacts
- Create and maintain a project schedule
- Represent writing team in planning and review meetings with clients
- Communicate status of project to team members and clients
- Escalate problems and issues when appropriate
- Multi-task and prioritize assignments
- Ensure that documents comply with department standards for presentation, format and content as stated in department style guide
- Enhance knowledge of writing tools and general writing skills
- Undergraduate students graduating in 2021 or later.
- Pursuing an Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Information Systems, Technical Communications, or related field with a focus in Technology.
- Strong knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the rules of composition and grammar.
- Proficiency with written and verbal communication for both business and technical audiences.
- Strong customer service, analytical, research, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Highly driven, enthusiastic, eager, collaborative, and resourceful
- Experienced with Microsoft-Office products for Windows including Word, Excel, Visio, Outlook, and SharePoint.
- Familiarity with graphics editing software (Illustrator, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) and web design tools (DreamWeaver, Wiki (Confluence), SharePoint Designer, etc.).
- Knowledge in advanced authoring software (e.g., Adobe FrameMaker, Acrobat and RoboHelp), XML editing tools (e.g. Oxygen, Arbortext Editor) and document repositories (e.g. Tridion) will be a bonus.
- Writing samples are required.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Writing samples are required to demonstrate proficiency for both business and technical audiences. TCS will also administer an editing test as part of the formal interview process.