Technical Project Manager - Visa Payments Limited
- London, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You will fit right in.
By joining one of our teams at Visa Payments Limited, a division of Visa Inc since 2019, you’ll have an opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Being part of Visa, the world’s leader in digital payments technology, our mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network, enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive.
Visa Payments Limited is a financial technology business that provides cross-border payment processing services to banks and payments businesses across six continents through its global network. One of the fastest growing global Fintech businesses the Group also provides tailored FX and payment solutions direct to corporates through its EarthportFX brand.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we are proud that we are a talented team of 18,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life both within and outside of the office, and whether it is taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programmes, Visa Payments Limited and Visa Inc. respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.
If you think you could support the Visa family by joining Visa Payments Limited as a Technical Project Manager, we want to hear from you.
You’re an individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
What’s it all about?
The Technology Team is at the heart of the successful execution of the Visa Payments Limited corporate strategy, responsible for developing the technology solutions for a market leading product portfolio, driving growth and profitable revenues through the success of the global sales teams.
With a keen focus on strong commercial product exposure in the payment’s domain, the team is dedicated to building a professional, proactive and market leading technology solutions adopting modern methods and practices. The goal of the team is to create and build a world class technology solution supporting a portfolio of products, adding sustainable value to the business, as part of strategically focused cross-border growth for Visa Payments Limited.
The Technical Project Manager provides key delivery discipline to the overall programme supporting the enhancement of Visa Payments Limited current and future payment processing capability. As a key member of the IT Operations - Infrastructure Team, responsibility for the managed delivery of change using project management best practice forms the basis of the role.
As an experienced Technical Project Manager leading delivery of technical changes in response to business demand, the ability to liaise with all elements of the organisation is a must. A heritage of clear instruction and reporting to manage projects and generate precise actions will be a natural part of the role. The ability to challenge timelines and gain efficiency of delivery with IT Operations - Infrastructure Teams’ resources will be something to measure the degree of success achieved with positive results generated.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Mobilising, manage and own the end-to-end delivery of systems implementation and change projects.
- Produce and maintain accurate plans and provide regular updates on progress to management and stakeholders.
- Accountable for planning and delivering the projects on time and on quality.
- Ensuring all project deliverables are clearly defined, scoped and estimated.
- Identifying and recruiting programme resources to ensure that the appropriate capacity and capability is in place at all times to ensure smooth delivery.
- Establishing appropriate governance arrangements for the project.
- Detailed planning incorporating all external dependencies
- Effective and proactive management of project risks and issues, ensuring that risk mitigation strategies are identified and put in place.
- Project closure activities (e.g. responsibility for ensuring the post implementation lessons learned review is undertaken)
- Work with support teams to effectively transition to BAU
- Deliver the projects to the required quality and success criteria as defined in the project definition or Project Initiation Document (PID).
- Management of 3rd parties, acting as a routine contact point between organisation and supplier, manage underperformance and escalate where necessary.
- Manage all aspects of RAID (risks, issues, dependencies and assumptions) including the development of contingency plan.
- Proactively monitoring the project’s overall progress, resolving issues and initiating corrective action as appropriate
- Analyse problems, action and progress issues as appropriate, ensuring follow through to resolution.
- Manage cross project and programme dependencies, ensuring activities are joined up from an operational and delivery point of view.
- Proactively manage, through appropriate project management frameworks key customer and stakeholder relationships relevant to the project.
- Ensure that IT/business and security strategy, policy and standards are adhered to, thus achieving commonality and ease of maintenance
- Application of relevant project change control mechanisms, including the transition process into operations
- Communicate proactively with all involved personnel to provide encouragement, identify problems, create solutions, and implement efficiency improvements
- A strong background in Agile delivery and management of delivery backlogs to drive priorities and tasks for the overall project team.
- Holistically review the existing pipeline of the projects within the team and schedule delivery of new projects based on prioritisation / deprioritisation methods.
Thinking about careers differently...
For this role, the key skills required are:
- The areas flagged below are the essential needs associated with the role but do not reflect an exhaustive listing of the required skills and experience to fulfil it. Any additional elements that will further enhance the ability to execute the role are most beneficial.
- Payments, Financial Services and Banking industry experience.
- Able to capture the core delivery tasks and actions required to meet the overall project delivery objectives and articulate these the core delivery team
- Excellent planning ability to capture and sequence all necessary project delivery tasks and share overall plans with appropriate levels of detail for multiple audiences from Exec to delivery teams.
- Strong track record of successful project delivery meeting agreed time-lines and budget demands.
- A keen administrative approach to keep all project artefacts updates, available and maintained for wider project and organisation consumption, for example using SharePoint and disciplined structure.
- A strong communicator able to articulate complex concepts and details to multiple audiences from Exec to delivery teams and customer liaison teams.
- A good grasp of core programming concepts as used in the payment processing domain of Financial Services.
- Develops effective working relationships with those around them, providing specific support the IT Operations - Infrastructure team with that.
- Self-starter and self-motivated, with the ability to challenge and question the status quo in an appropriate manner while addressing the broad needs of the organisation and more locally with the IT Operations - Infrastructure Team.
- Ensuring close attention to detail is maintained across the team in all areas of work: design, documentation, coding, testing, and following agreed processes.
- Effective prioritisation and multi-tasking - able to prioritise quickly and effectively. Maintains a can-do attitude.
- Open to feedback, able to deal with ambiguity and work on multiple concurrent activities
- Successful under pressure and naturally curious to solve problems, explore new techniques and technologies.
- Able to work and manage development teams that are geographically dispersed and across time zones.
- Represent Visa Payments Limited and the IT Operations - Infrastructure team positively both internally across the organisation and externally at various industry forums as well as third party suppliers.
- Deep interest in financial services with commercial experience in financial services and first-class technical and collaboration skills.
- Articulate complex IT matters to business stakeholders, often from non-technical backgrounds.
- Deliver technology change in a matrix organisation with internal and external IT suppliers.
- Excellent stakeholder skills, is able to effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, immediate peer group and senior managers.
- Creative and solution driven.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, with the ability to negotiate, persuade and influence business decisions at senior management level
- A desire to deliver to the highest standard. Advocates and promotes a team environment, instilling team spirit.
- Strong leadership, people management and team building capabilities, with experience of line or matrix management of teams
- Expertise in all aspects of project management including project planning, estimating, budgetary control and RAID management (Risks, Assumptions, Issues and Dependencies),
- Strong organisation skills, with the ability to manage conflicting deadlines and priorities
- Able to use judgement and provide sound justification for decisions, tailoring approach to delivery based on experience
- Able to work collaboratively across an organisation, building a network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Articulate with effective written, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Project management of multiple projects either within a programme or as independent projects
- A degree in software engineering, another engineering discipline or a scientific discipline is required or equivalent professional experience
- Recognised Project Management certification, e.g. PRINCE II, CAPM, PMP etc. or equivalent
- Agile delivery using Scrum methodology.
- Adept at all aspects of Microsoft Office suite, including Project (or alternative project planning tools).
- Strong understanding and background in Information Technology Infrastructure including server virtualisation, secure network topologies, resilient data storage architectures.
Key Performance Indicators
The following KPIs form part of an ongoing review of performance and belong to the overall annual Performance Management process. Regular reviews throughout the year will be maintained with a formal assessment conducted at least twice in year. While annual objectives will reflect the current business demand and therefore be subject to change, the KPIs can be expected to remain relatively static.
- Performance improvement resulting in revenue growth.
- New product adoption with existing clients.
- All mandated training and compliance courses are completed successfully well in advance of the prescribed deadline.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa Payments Limited is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.