Staff Software Engineer (java, linux, C++)
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
You will be part of the Real-time Risk Systems Development team within Network Processing Organization. The team works on a suite of applications to predict fraud risk for authorization transactions, thus enabling Visa Issuers to manage associated risk. The Risk applications are engineered to be highly available, with world class performance and reliability. System components have been developed using industry standard programming languages such as C++ and Java. NoSQL and in-memory caching technologies are used to achieve low-latency to meet near real time data processing needs. The succesfull candidate will work alongside a team of software engineers in developing and supporting these complex and mission critical applications.
- Analyze business requirements and work with customers to seek clarification and prepare technical specifications
- Review and challenge Architecture and lead detail design of major components, adhering to best practices of security, scalability, performance and manageability
- Quickly gain domain expertise in critical application areas to SME level
- Develop and document high level and detailed design specifications using the Object Oriented methodologies
- Design and develop highly scalable and fault tolerant distributed components using functional programming paradigm
- Code & unit test system components and applications in a range of programming languages
- Champion software development best practices such as software development standards, code reviews, secure coding practices, integration test etc.
- Work independently with minimal guidance becoming a mentor and role model for other team members
- Proactively work to identify issues and provide solutions for the same
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD
- 7+ years of experience in designing and developing complex mission critical back-end applications
- 5+ years in developing C++ applications in linux or Unix environment
- 3+ years of experience in design and implementation using Java programming language
- Knowledge of functional programming languages or the ability to learn them quickly
- Fully versed with all stages of software development lifecycle phases
- Expert in Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOA/OOD)
- In-depth experience in all aspects of multi-threaded application development
- Experience with NoSQL and in-memory caching technologies is definitely a strong plus
- Familiarity of database concepts with some experience in MySql will be helpful
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills are a pre-requisite
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.