Sr Data Engineer
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Visa processes 100s of millions of payment transactions per day and has one of the world’s most valuable data assets. The Visa Data Product Development organization (DPD) has the mission of unleashing the power of Data to drive global commerce. The DPD Technology organization is responsible for the strategy, architecture, design and development of Visa's data and information products, including Business Intelligence & Analytics, Risk and Authorization, Loyalty, Marketing Services, and Commercial products.
The Business Intelligence & Analytics team is looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is passionate about solving challenging business problems, building applications that provide an excellent user experience.
As a key member of the delivery execution team, candidate would need to create custom applications for data and analytics, write maintainable code, reusable components/services/utilities, and test cases. Qualifications include good organizational skills, problem-solving skills, time management skills, ability to work independently and effectively communicate and collaborate with team members. The candidate must be capable of working in all phases of the application system development lifecycle.
The role is for a self-motivated individual with software engineering skills with maturity to collaborate and have an agile mindset.
Hands-on execution as well as leadership of the following:
Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Create and tune complex SQL for views across federated sources including Hadoop, DB2 and Oracle
- Collaborate with product management / product owners on defining user experience, demos and training
- Collaborate with BI report developers on design for optimal performance
- Assist on data analytics projects involving data modeling and architecture
- Assist on building integration with other data / metadata tools in the architecture
- Assist on some database administration tasks for the data virtualization platform
- Use business requirements to document clear and concise technical designs
- Maintain design and naming standards
- Contribute to project planning discussions, provide status updates for development progress and be a critical resource for issue resolution
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience with Big Data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Minimum 3 years of experience writing and tuning SQL
- Experience with RDBMS technologies (DB2, Oracle)
- Experience with SQL-on-Hadoop preferred (Hive, Impala)
- Familiarity with web services, APIs and related architectures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with basic Windows and Linux administration is a plus
- Experience in Agile development methodology / Scrum is a plus
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
This position will require <5% travel or as needed by the business
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.