Sr. Director, Architecture (REF31205H) - Visa Digital and Developer Platform (DDP)
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Digital and Developer Platform (DDP) develops and manages platform-oriented technology to advance the global growth of digital commerce and the mobilization of payments. Pairing a customer-first approach and relentless product innovation, we build the underlying technologies that enhance value propositions for Visa cardholders and business partners around the world.
We are a group of bright, motivated engineers and leaders excited about building the next generation of payment products that will drive e-Commerce, mobile-Commerce as well as POS businesses for our customers.
As Sr. Director, Architecture, you will report to the VP of Architecture and lead a team of talented architects to map business/product requirements into technical & system requirements based on sound architectural principles to develop industry leading solutions. You will work closely with Product Management to coordinate and manage input from business stakeholders across the enterprise and have overall responsibility for the execution of multiple, large-scale technology initiatives for your domain.
You will drive and execute a strategic technology roadmap with a well-defined target state and long term architecture in alignment with Visa technology goals. You will also draw heavily upon your mix of technical and business acumen and experience in ecommerce, mobile technologies, risk analysis, security, digital payments and a variety of web-based applications to enhance existing products or enable new products.
You will interact with organizational stake holders such as senior executives, senior product managers, and external partners like fortune 100 system integrators, wallet providers, and banks.
You will be an integral part of the DDP Architecture Team and contribute to defining a long-term architecture that delivers on the organizational vision for consistency, quality, developer productivity, security, reusability, and availability across Visa's global infrastructure
Lead a team of Architects to develop and execute the strategic technology roadmap with a well-defined target state and long term architecture in alignment with Visa technology and business goals
- Co-ordinate team’s architectural activities with the other peer architecture teams
- Create, review and approve designs in the form of a “Technical Architecture Design” document which will be used as the basis for sizing and creation of low level detailed designs
- Provide strategic leadership, collaborate co-ordination, and creative problem solving necessary to manage and advance new and existing opportunities across the business
- Lead the definition of the system, technical, application and deployment architectures for major areas of development and recommend course of action to maintain cost effectiveness and competitiveness for multiple products and platforms
- Research and implement best practices frameworks/capability models that will control costs, provide higher quality, and/or increase reliability
- Research and stay abreast of the latest technology infrastructure and processes in the payment industry
- Collaborate with other architecture teams and leaders of various Visa technology organizations
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in Computer Science or other technology field; Typically requires 15+ years of experience in delivering enterprise-class, mission-critical, commercial, and scalable products, at least 5 of which were in the role of an architect or a lead developer
- Prior management experience is required
- Extensive Experience with web services standards and related technologies (HTTP, XML, JSON, REST, SOAP, WS*), Java and databases
- Must have strong experience in API design and System and Component Design. API standards, API security, API performance, API availability
- Experience in Security: Web, Mobile and backend (B2C and B2B security – authentication, authorization and encryption)
- Experience working with a variety of Application Servers and Databases such as Tomcat and Oracle. Other technologies such as MongoDB or Cassandra is a plus
- Experience in Micro Services, Service Mesh, Containers, DevOps is a big plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal). Should be comfortable facilitating multi-team activities
- Strong leadership skills and comfortable presenting complex ideas to small and large groups in a clear and concise way. Candidate should be confident in their ability to influence and develop relationships with key partners
- Digital wallet experience is a plus
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.