Senior Account Executive, Merchant Sales (Canada)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity.
Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind: making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world.
Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Senior Director, Merchant Sales will report to the Vice-President, Acquiring & Merchant Sales, and be responsible for the leadership of Canada’s merchant relationships and related sales activities. This role and their team will be responsible for managing large and complex merchants, as well as the development and execution of the Canada merchant strategy and product roadmap aligned with the region’s Acceptance objectives and priorities.
The position will work closely with internal and external stakeholders, particularly within the Marketing, Product, Acceptance Solutions, Pricing, Finance and Legal teams, to implement digital and sales strategies and to optimize business performance with key merchants.
Based in Visa’s Toronto office, the primary responsibilities include:
· Define the strategy and lead the implementation of Visa sales strategy for products and solutions with merchants
· Lead the development of Visa’s top 100 merchant client relationships
· Set strategy and insights to provide value-add to merchants
· Provide thought leadership to merchants on the future of payments; consult with merchant clients to identify pain points and solutions from Visa to address challenges and business issues
· Maintain a high performing consultative sales approach with focus, accountability, and high levels of engagement and proactivity
· Serve as the key spokesperson for Visa among merchants
· Guide the creation of persuasive presentations, narratives and stories that demonstrate the value of Visa to merchants
· Lead a team - motivating, coaching and developing talent to meet objectives and ensuring strong employee engagement
· Increase the effectiveness of the merchant sales team by defining priorities and recognizing opportunities for new approaches
· Develop and implement best practices for client interactions, sales and services for Visa
· Provide the team with leadership and support in managing day-to-day relationships with new and existing key merchants
· Effectively partner with specialized sales resources (Visa Direct, Cybersource, etc) to increase sales with covered merchant base
12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA /JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
· 10+ years of overall business experience with 5 years of related sales and relationship management expertise.
· A background in payments industry is preferred particularly in digital products, digital wallet and selling new payment solutions.
· Exceptional communication and presentation skills with an emphasis on translating insights, product information and data into client value.
· Ability to establish effective relationships with senior executives inside and outside of Visa
Strong negotiation skills, with the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and influence people not directly reporting to you.
· Skilled story-teller with experience communicating the benefits of Visa and Visa’s digital products
· Experience in technical solutions selling is an asset
· Work experience & deep knowledge of the various industries (Retail, Travel, Restaurant, Grocery, etc) is critical.
· Significant experience in leading the development of a team responsible for building strong relationships and selling complex, multi product solutions.
· Must demonstrate alignment with Visa’s leadership principles
· Ability to perform well in highly dynamic, rapidly changing environment, self-starter, creative problem solver
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Education: BA/BS Degree, MBA preferred
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work up to 50% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.