Chief Software Engineer, Open VisaNet
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiative that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Apache Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Aerospike, Elasticsearch etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure and solution architects.
Visa is looking for a hands on and versatile Chief Engineer, Software Development who will help build Open VisaNet, Visa's Next generation payment processing platform developed on Open Systems, that would fuel growth in electronic payments globally and drive financial inclusion in many parts of the world. If you consider yourself to be a Software Development Guru and have a lot of experience building highly distributed, secure, reliable and available systems, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-architect Visa's core payment platform with high throughput and low latency. People with significant experience in building cloud based platforms either in public or private cloud domains are preferred. We are looking for candidates who have strong technology foundation and previous hands on design/coding skills for this role.
Chief Software Engineer is a high visibility, high impact role requiring the ability to technically lead large and complex projects, help design mission-critical high-volume low-latency services and provide hands on development and mentorship to engineering leads as required. S/he will partner with product partners to understand the business landscape, jointly ideate on business needs for Visa’s next gen payment network and build the strategy for our team to architect, design and deliver the platform in a phased manner.
Roles & Responsibilities (Your role @VISA)
- Provide leadership and oversight to a team of software developers across the globe building solutions and capabilities at scale with high engineering and quality standards.
- Be accountable for implementing highly scalable, low-latency, high-throughput systems that have five 9 availability.
- Drives the design for key cross team / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing key modules).
- Establishes software development patterns and best practices via examples and shipping code.
- Ensures that all relevant engineering teams follow a common set of principles and patterns and utilise a standard set of technology frameworks and libraries.
- Provides leadership across the engineering community to ensure solutions are built in alignment with platform principles and standards.
- Mentors and builds world-class high-performing engineering teams.
- Applies architecture best practices that helps increase execution velocity.
- Develops production systems that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influences technology selection for the enterprise.
- Defines deployment topology by working with peers across the technology organisation.
- Optimises use of Visa’s Platforms & Solutions.
- Demonstrates thought leadership through presentations and teaching across Visa.
- Experienced technology leader with a minimum of 15+ years of software development experience including 5+ years of application architecture experience with deep technology expertise in the following: extensive experience on architecture design of large scale platforms and application with simple solutions.
- Extensive hands on design/coding experience/skills using any of Golang, Java, J2EE, C++, C# or .NET.
- Prior experience must include leadership role for mission-critical system applications supporting high transaction systems.
- Strong on elegant coding, can write very solid prototypes or core components quickly.
- Strong service development experience with high performance and scalability.
- Object-Oriented design and development.
- Deep understanding of one or more Relational NoSQL databases.
- Experience building microservices with Kubernetes / Containers
- Web Services (REST/SOAP). Knowledge of gRPC using Protocol Buffers a plus
- Service Oriented Architecture and knowledge of messaging queues such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Strong understanding of architecture patterns and operational characteristics of highly available and scalable applications.
- Excellent knowledge of core engineering best practices and passion to implement these across teams.
- Experience on distributed application performance engineering, database design, middleware, user interface development, and information security engineering
- Have a successful track record of leading architecture work for large scale projects that represent broad strategic initiatives meeting quantifiable business objectives and resulting in tangible impact for the organisation. Demonstrated expertise in leveraging agile and other development methodologies.
- Think strategically: See patterns and relationships in information and events; clarify and simplify complex information; anticipate trends and possibilities that may lead to new business opportunities; consistently think and act "ahead of the curve"; anticipate and effectively respond with urgency to immediate opportunities; executes plans vigorously and with flexibility; operate proactively; identify and address long-term opportunities.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in one or more of the following areas: application architecture, solutions architecture, software systems architecture.
- Self-motivated, fast learner, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up
with the technology development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures and build durable new ones.
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organisation levels and executive management.
- Capable of forming and advocating independent viewpoint. Demonstrate strong skills influencing, negotiating and communicating.
- Hands-on experience in managing enterprise class production systems in public or private cloud environments with Docker and Kubernetes required
- Working familiarity with the entire software development lifecycle including version control, build process, testing, and code release.
- Previous experience with financial services or payments processing domain is an advantage
- Experience with operating system internals, file systems, disk/storage and networking protocols.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related degree from recognised university.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.