Lawyer, Commercial Law - Dublin or London
- London, UK
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
If you think you could support Visa as a Lawyer, Commercial Law - Dublin or London, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What's it all about?
This role sits within a fun, supportive and hard-working Commercial Legal Team, who manage a wide range of commercial, technology, marketing, sourcing, client incentive, risk, product and intellectual property legal matters. This Team is part of a larger Legal, Regulatory & Compliance Division (including, Competition law, Regulatory law, Corporate law, Data Privacy and Employment law, Government Relations and Compliance specialists), which has consistently had some of the highest engagement scores in the company and prides itself on a creative, can-do approach. The role supports Visa’s Risk, Client Services, Client Licensing and Scheme business, based in London (or Dublin).
The Commercial Legal Team works at the cutting edge of new payment technologies, innovation and the fintech industry in an increasingly regulated environment, which brings unique and novel challenges in the commercial/technology law space.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Provide a wide range of legal support and assistance to Visa’s commercial business. The role will involve drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on a wide range of complex contracts and legal issues in the fast-moving world of payments, including with new clients spearheading developments in the growing fintech sector.
- Provide legal advice and support relating to matters such as financial collateral arrangements (standby-letters of credit, guarantees, cash collateral, trust and pledge arrangements), client agreements, client licensing arrangements, client suspensions and terminations, the development of template contracts, and other general commercial matters.
- Identify competition/anti-trust, data protection and other regulatory issues, and liaise when necessary with internal members of the Legal, Regulatory & Compliance Division, and/or external counsel.
- Identify the need for external legal advice and engage appropriate outside counsel on a range of legal issues across Visa’s European region. Management of outside counsel.
- Work with other Visa departments across the globe to ensure contracts and advice accurately reflects business needs and policies as they develop.
- Responsible for management of day-to-day legal queries and business deals, supporting all relevant legal activities.
- Manage, develop and maintain relationships to facilitate the effective delivery of legal advice and assistance.
- Provide training, to identified business areas, on law, processes and policies.
- Proactively contribute to the Legal, Regulatory & Compliance Division’s planning, cohesion, consistency in advice, and the general efficiency and effectiveness of the division as a whole.
Thinking about careers differently...
For this role, the key skills required are:
- Mid-level English qualified lawyer.
- Previous experience of working within a regulated business or in a technology and digital legal environment.
- Demonstrable experience at a recognised law firm and/or in-house environment.
- Strong academics and training, including legal drafting and negotiating, and relationship management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills along with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as on own initiative.
- Ability to prioritise and manage a varied and busy workload.
- Positive attitude, high level of integrity and intellectual curiosity.
- Fluent in English.
- Knowledge of the payments industry (and applicable regulation) or financial services environment.
- Previous experience of cross-border and multi-jurisdictional contracts and advice.
- Previous insolvency law experience and familiarity with financial collateral arrangements.
- Previous experience of supporting a Risk function.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.