Director, Visa Ventures
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The role of Director, Visa Ventures will encompass the full-lifecycle of corporate venture capital, including defining areas of investment focus, sourcing and vetting opportunities, building internal conviction among Visa stakeholders, overseeing due diligence, and establishing relationships with senior Visa executives and external ecosystem partners.
- Partner with senior Visa stakeholders to define strategic investment priority areas supporting Visa’s product, functional, and regional business units.
- Coordinate with Partnerships teams to ensure alignment between investment and commercial partnership agreements.
- Lead and coordinate due diligence efforts across various domains including technical, business, and legal diligence.
- Develop and prepare investment materials for the Investment Committee that outline the strategic benefits of investment, commercial partnership terms, investment terms, and other relevant information for potential investments.
- Lead or co-lead all aspects of equity investment transactions including sourcing, due diligence, strategic analysis, financial analysis and modeling, deal structuring, deal negotiation and deal documentation review.
- Monitor operational and financial performance of portfolio companies; facilitate quarterly performance analysis for individual companies and full investment portfolio.
- Proactively work with portfolio companies and Visa stakeholders to execute on partnership and growth strategies.
- Cultivate relationships with fintech VCs and other ecosystem partners to help identify and source investment opportunities aligned with Visa stakeholder strategic priorities.
- Ensure rigorous adherence to Visa and external reporting and compliance requirements. Support application of risk control and accounting reporting.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all key internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop skills and career trajectory of junior investment team members.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in at least two of the following roles: Investment Banking, Corporate Development, Venture Capital, Private Equity, or Corporate Venture Capital
- Experience leading deal processes and managing multi-work stream projects
- Superior financial modeling skills and acumen
- Prior experience in the fintech, payments and/or directly adjacent industries
- MBA and 7+ years of relevant work experience in financial services, fintech, and related fields preferred
- Strong network of contacts in the fintech venture capital industry. Willingness to establish additional contacts through industry networking
- Strong financial reporting and accounting background
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including preparation of investment memos and analysis
- Deal negotiation experience
- Team management experience
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours as well as reasonable off-hour work.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10 - 25% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.