Staff Data Engineer, Business Solutions - Data Product Development
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
We are developing and executing a shared strategic vision for Business Solutions Data Services platforms and products that enable Visa to be the world-leading data-driven payments company. As a Staff Data Engineer, you will be part of a world-class team of Engineers to define, drive and execute on this vision.
The role is that of Senior Staff/Lead Engineer. The successful candidate will help develop customer focused data products and the data lake spanning at scale across petabytes of data using technologies across Java, Hadoop, Spark Scala, HBASE as well as adopting new open source technologies. The job involves system architecture, design, development, Optimization, setting expectations and SLAs with focus on reliability, availability and performance to enable Visa’s Global clients.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual with Data engineering skills and expertise with Big Data systems integration and technologies. The candidate will be extensively involved in hands-on activities including POCs, design, development, testing, and documentation with focus on monetizing data and helping enable our Commercial clients globally. Success in this role will require technical depth and a customer focused demeanor with a self motivating personality and a strong work ethic; Superior communication skills verbal, written, listening and presentation are a must.
This position reports into the Director of Business solutions Data product development and is based in Austin, Texas.
- Design and develop mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance.
- Work on development of new products and enhancements to existing systems iteratively by building quick POCs and converting ideas into real products
- Work closely with architects, business and technical stakeholders to develop high quality products and services that meet business requirements and expectations while applying the latest available tools and technology
- Instill best practices for software development, and deliver high quality work on tight schedules.
- Formulate methods to enable consistent Data loading and optimize Data operations.
Monitor health of the platforms and Generate Performance Reports and Monitor and provide continuous improvements.
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes
- Mentor junior team members, develop departmental procedures and best practices standards
- Coordinate Continuous Integration activities, testing automation frameworks, and other related items in addition to contributing core product code
Present technical solutions, capabilities, considerations, and features in business terms. Effectively communicate status, issues, and risks in a precise and timely manner
8 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 4 years of relevant work experience with a Masters Degree, or a PhD.
- Bachelor degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required. Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of software development experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging development best practice methodologies
- Minimum of 3 to 4 years of experience in building large-scale applications using open source technologies. Design and coding skills with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, HBase and Map Reduce
- Minimum of 4 years of hands-on expertise with Java, Spark/Scala
- Experience with highly distributed, scalable, concurrent and low latency systems working with one or more of the following database technologies: DB2, MySQL and NoSQL data warehouses such as HBase
- Deep knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Deep knowledge of all Data Warehouse related components (Sourcing, ETL, Data Modeling, Infrastructure, BI, Reporting, Data Visualization, Predictive Analytics) and multiple tools to support those components
- Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for building highly distributed and parallelized systems
- Experience with Agile & DevOps methodologies
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with a strong automation mindset
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate the logic and implementation plan to team members & managers
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
- Payment processing background is a big plus.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.