Lead Data Engineer (Director Level), Data Platform (Data-as-a-Service)
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Lead Engineer in Data Platform, you will be a technical leader for the Data-as-a-Services development team based in Bangalore, India. You will be responsible and accountable for creating a product tasked with creating core datasets for Visa’s transactions. Visa is the world’s largest processor of credit and debit transactions and the platform you build will process hundreds of billions of transactions records every year and serve to deliver clean and enriched data to Visa and other financial institutions. You will also own systems responsible for all aspects of data governance required to deliver high quality and mission-critical data to Visa and its partners. This role will lead design discussions, build and deploy solutions to ensure successful delivery of business capabilities. Visa provides a challenging environment of volume, velocity and variety that is rarely matched. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Data-as-a-Services development based in Bangalore.
- Take complete end-to-end ownership of one or more applications.
- Translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of an innovative, scalable, and distributed systems that take advantage of technology to allow standardization, security, timeliness and quality of data.
- Design and deploy data and pipeline management frameworks built on top of open-source components, including Hadoop, Hive, Spark, HBase, Kafka streaming and other Big Data technologies.
- Work in and promote an agile development culture focused on high quality code development and deployment to production.
- Champion Design and Coding best practices while technically leading a small team.
12+ years of work experience with a bachelor’s degree, or at least 8 years of work experience with a master’s degree, or 5 years of work experience with a PhD degree in computer science or related fields.
- 12+ years of software development experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging standard development best practice methodologies.
- Expertise in Object Oriented Programming Language – Java / Python.
- 6+ years of hands-on experience in Hadoop using Core Java Programming, Spark, Scala, Hive, PIG scripts, Sqoop, any ETL tool exposure.
- Strong knowledge of Database concepts and UNIX.
- Experience in handling very large data volume in low latency and/or batch mode.
- Strong leadership and team player; including mentoring/growing junior engineers
- Strong on driving for results and self-motivated, strong learning mindset, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up with the technology
- development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures and build durable new ones.
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organization levels and executive management.
- Quick learner, self-starter, detailed and work with minimal supervision.
- Payment industry experience (preferred).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.