Java Developer - 12 Month FTC
- London, UK
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
By joining one of our teams at Visa Payments Ltd, a division of Visa Inc since 2019, you’ll have an opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Being part of Visa, the world’s leader in digital payments technology, our mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network, enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive.
Visa Payments Ltd Earthport is a financial technology business that provides cross-border payment processing services to banks and payments businesses across six continents through its global network. One of the fastest growing global Fintech businesses the Group also provides tailored FX and payment solutions direct to corporates through its Visa Payments Ltd FX brand.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we are proud that we are a talented team of 18,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life both within and outside of the office, and whether it is taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programmes, Visa Payments Ltd and Visa Inc. respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
If you think you could support Visa as a Java Developer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
This role is a 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
This is a hands-on software developer role operating within the Solution Delivery team. This individual will be expected to work within an Agile scrum team, picking up prioritised stories from the backlog for development. The developer will be expected to take instruction from more senior developers but to be responsible for the quality of their own code and to write sufficient unit and integration tests to cover the acceptance criteria. You will need to actively participate in all agile ceremonies, such as ensuring requirements and acceptance criteria are well understood and complete as well the story estimation and sprint planning processes.
We are seeking someone who has commercial Java software development experience, ideally within an agile environment with strong exposure to a test first mentality, utilising continuous integration.
About the Team
The Solution Delivery team within the overall Technology function is responsible for the full software delivery lifecycle of the core payments platform. This includes technical analysis, software development, testing and release management.
This is the largest team within technology and is comprised of multiple teams working both onshore and offshore across several time zones. All teams utilise agile delivery methods conforming to the scaled agile framework (SAFe).
The outputs and deliverables from this team are mission critical to the successful execution of the corporate strategy. As such, this team demands high standards with regards to software quality, reliability, scalability and cyber security.
Skills & Experience
The areas flagged below are the essential needs associated with the role but do not reflect an exhaustive listing of the required skills and experience to fulfil it. Any additional elements that will further enhance the ability to execute the role are most beneficial.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Writes and maintains core components of the overall payments processing platform. Over time you will be expected to develop deep knowledge and understanding of its construct and function.
- Ensure written code is clean and well-structured with appropriate tests and documentation that meets the agreed requirements.
- Maintains an up-to-date perspective on software development techniques and industry best practice.
- Reviews and promotes the introduction of appropriate tools and processes to support development activities.
- Ensures all relevant activities are completed as part of software development (e.g. attends stand up meetings, timely updates to tasks, user stories, etc.).
- Freely shares knowledge with other members of the team and the company.
- Contributes regularly and positively to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company. Including suggesting technical solutions to problems.
- Responds promptly and professionally to requests for support.
- Supports incident management to fix Production issues when they occur and the restoration of service as rapidly as possible.
- Work closely with Business Analysts, Technical Architects and other Developers to achieve a high-quality coded output.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to collaborate with other members of the scrum team as well as with business analysts and product owners when required.
- Self-starter and self-motivated, with the ability to challenge and question the status quo in an appropriate manner while addressing the broad needs of the organisation and more locally with the delivery team.
- Attention to detail in all areas of work: design, documentation, coding, testing, and following agreed processes.
- Effective prioritisation and multi-tasking - able to prioritise quickly and effectively. Maintains a can-do attitude.
- Open to feedback, able to deal with ambiguity and work on multiple concurrent activities.
- Calm under pressure and naturally curious to solve problems, explore new techniques and technologies.
- Able to work with and manage delivery teams that are geographically dispersed and across time zones.
- An accomplished developer with who has worked in a team of 30 or more on large codebases.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- A degree in software engineering, another engineering or equivalent work experience.
- Strong core Java programming.
- Proficient in Spring and Hibernate.
- Proficient in the use of Git.
- Experience with SQL - NoSQL would be a bonus.
- Experience working within an Agile scrum environment.
- Experience with continuous integration such as TeamCity or Jenkins.
- Good understanding of software testing particularly TDD, unit and integration testing with the use of test doubles (mocks and stubs).
- Proficient in the use of an IDE – IntelliJ preferred.
- Experience using Jira, confluence.
- Agile experience such as Scrum, Kanban or SAFe.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa Payments Limited is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.