Lead Software Engineer, Open VisaNet
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa is looking for Lead Software Engineers, who will help build Open VisaNet, Visa's Next generation payment processing platform developed on Open Systems, that would fuel growth in electronic payments globally and drive financial inclusion in many parts of the world.
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiative that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Scala, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Aerospike, Elasticsearch etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure and solution architects.
- Take ownership of technical project implementations of a highly scalable, fault-tolerant payment application built using distributed microservices based architecture.
- Engage with the business owners to effectively translate functional and non-functional requirements into an engineered solution.
- Work closely with the solution architects to translate architecture into a delivered solution that realizes the vision and purpose.
- Lead the engineering responsibilities for multiple service components within a project and able to juggle multiple projects and change direction mid-course based on business drivers.
- Lead cross-functional teams to deliver high quality software assets conforming to their domain’s defined standards for interfaces, extensible for maintainability, and best in class documentation.
- Provide technical guidance and consultation to the engineering teams throughout the project lifecycle to ensure vision and goal of project is realized through delivery.
- Pioneer innovative solutions or extend an existing solution to ensure the project needs to meet the wider goals of the strategy.
- Ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
- Ensure proper documentation and internal publishing of design tradeoffs, code best practices and lessons learned.
- Work with architects and operations teams on measuring and cost estimating the infrastructural needs for new projects and future enhancements.
- Engage in new technology evaluation and selection process for new projects by driving proof of concepts. Stay abreast of emerging technologies and proactively assess and evaluate the adoption thereof into the organization.
- Help building a highly skilled team seeking systematic approaches to improve engineering productivity, efficiency, effectiveness, and quality.
- Mentor team members and be an inspirational technology leader.
- Drive implementation of best-fit automation framework. Promote writing automation tools and utilities using various technologies
- Become a security champion by owning the responsibility of component security. Collaborate with Cyber security teams to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- Support in triaging and troubleshooting of highly distributed services in production environment.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- Minimum 8 to 10 years of experience in design and development of large-scale information products and services
- Extraordinary software engineering talent with deep expertise in concurrent programming
- Solid understanding of various Computer Science concepts, such as Automaton Theory, Operating Systems, Compilers, Network Programming, Data Structure and Algorithm
- Proficient at understanding and analyzing the architecture of an existing solution and expert in leading the entire software development lifecycle including version control, build process, testing, and code release
- Proficient in one of the programming languages like Golang, C, C++, Java, Python
- Knowledge of functional programming languages like Erlang, Scala, Haskell, Clojure is a plus
- Experience with operating system internals, file systems, disk/storage and networking protocols
- Thrive in self-motivated internal-innovation driven environment
- Experience in a global matrix organization
- Inquisitive, methodical, and analytical in testing applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience with financial services or payments processing domain is preferred
- Experience with distributed database, distributed computing and high frequency transactions is a big plus
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during and beyond core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires no travel requirement.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law