Data Visualization / Experience Design Engineer
- Arlington, VA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Do you love visualizing data and rapidly prototyping creative applications? Do you like working with front end technologies like React and Angular? Do you want to design and engineer accessible data experiences? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
Join our fast-paced Data Experience team, working in our Data Experience Lab within Visa's Data, Security, and Identity Product organization. You will use the latest web technologies to build data experience focused applications. You will be responsible for both designing and developing responsive and accessible user interfaces for data analysts. The clean, intuitive, and beautiful user interfaces you design, and build will be used to explore and visually manipulate Visa’s unique global data assets. You will allow users to gain new insights and tell their own data stories.
In this role, you will get to work with designers, business analysts, and engineers across teams utilizing design system specifications and components, including Visa Chart Components, to design and ultimately build delightful data visualization experiences for our products. Incredible volumes of data will be at your fingertips to mold and refine into elegant visualizations utilizing traditional proven graphics (e.g., bar charts) as well as inventing novel graphics concepts, yet to be seen. You will be part of a fun, humble team, always learning, thirsty for feedback, and collaborating with others to deliver cohesive data visualization experiences.
The position can be based at any of Visa's US hub offices, e.g., San Francisco, CA; Foster City, CA; Arlington, VA; New York City, NY; Austin TX, etc.
- 5 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD
- 6+ years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 4 +years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or up to 3 years of relevant experience with a PhD
- developing web applications focusing on data visualization, or data visualization component development.
- A strong product design portfolio that demonstrates how you design to solve customer needs.
- In depth knowledge of data visualization design and designing for accessibility in your data experiences.
- Excellent grasp of the design thinking and prototyping process.
- Examples of complex interaction and visual designs you crafted and coded.
- Detailed oriented with a keen eye to spot single pixel deformities.
- The know-how to move rapidly from pencil/paper to pixel/screen, and ultimately to code/text editor.
- Public examples of applications designed and built by you that you are proud to showcase.
- Ability to teach us new things relevant to this work.
Technology we enjoy using and hope you do too.
- Pencils, Markers, Crayons, Paper
- Sketch, Balsamiq, Figma
- React, Angular, Stencil, Jest
- Node, Webpack
- And of course, Visa Chart Components
Bonus points for ...
- Working knowledge of WebGL
- Basic knowledge of BI Tools like Tableau, Denodo and their APIs
- Can demonstrate abilities through shareable (public facing) data visualization experiences
Don't know everything listed here? Good. Neither do we. Join us and we can learn together.
- This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.