Sr. Data Engineer
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocate for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands and innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, and is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform (DP) Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform Department is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched and valuable ecosystem of data platform and data services to drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa with the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business and external clients. Our technical stack has two layers: Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Data as a service (DaaS).
The Platform as Services team is part of Visa's Data Platform division. Our mission is to provide the enabling technology and processes to manage Visa data assets and deliver Value Added Information Products and Services to our customers. We are working very closely with PaaS team. Data Platform organization is building the Next Generation Data processing engines with cost-effective and distributed applications on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Building next generation applications require collaboration with exceptional group of highly skilled Data architects, software engineers, DevOps engineers, payment experts and infrastructure architects. This is an exciting time for a data professional to join our team to drive technology transformation.
- Help Engineering teams achieve their potential by identifying and addressing gaps via automated and self serve platforms.
- Ensure that above toolchains and platforms are extensible by nature. Always design and build as if being used by an external customer.
- Make these toolchains and platforms capable of crowd sourcing. Teams across Visa should be able to contribute to these.
- Build Tools that can be used by Engineering teams with minimal hand holding; and address issues such as, but not limited to:
- Environment creation/provisioning
- Build pipelines
- Best Engineering and DevOps practices
- Test frameworks
- Productivity tools
- Actively support above tools in order to ensure that newer asks and requirements in light of evolving scope of Data Platform and One VISA needs.
- Open sourcing these tools and frameworks across VISA; and by extension; to the wider development community outside VISA
- These tools should dogfood the practices and capabilities they tend to serve outside. All best practices and frameworks we build should also be used internally to develop the same. We are our own customers first
- Work with teams across Data Platform and VISA; with the mindset of re-using and re-purposing; not re-creating unless there is an absolute need.
- Identify OSS that is of benefit to us; and work with the cybersecurity and other teams to integrate it into VISA toolchains where applicable.
· Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or other technical discipline (Master preferred)
· 6+ year of corresponding industry experience
· Strong knowledge and experience with release engineering, automation frameworks and configuration management.
· Knowledge and flexibility in Hadoop and related technologies.
· Flexible, adaptable, and able to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate through all parts of the business.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to identify opportunities and implement process improvements
· Strong automation development experience
· Hands-on experience with Jenkins, Kubernetes, Chef, Ansible, and at least one programming language.
· Knowledge of various best practices across in industry in terms of SCM, environment management, CICD pipelines, configuration management.
· Organizational and project management skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage time and prioritize projects under tight time frames
· Highly motivated self-starter capable of working independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, exhibiting strong relationship management and interpersonal skills
· Strong innovative and creative solution development and deployment capability
· Ability to understand data, synthesize information, and develop recommendations
· Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible
· Ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly.
· Have strong problem diagnostic and debugging skills
· Strong communication skills with ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
· Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
· Proactive sense of urgency and “can do” attitude
· Knowledge of the software development life cycle
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.