Software Engineering Manager
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Cloud Platform & Infrastructure Automation Team is responsible for the design, architecture and development of the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) platform within Visa. The team is also chartered with building the next generation Application Management, Delivery and Validation Platform. Our mission is to make it easy for developers & infrastructure teams to provision environments (DEV, TEST & Prod), deploy services, monitor and auto scale applications with the highest level of reliability, availability, scale and security.
Selected candidate will be leading one of the most talented team of software engineers in Visa building software defined infrastructure and application delivery platforms. You will also have an opportunity to make a large impact across Visa on how systems/applications are built and delivered. We build and support a variety of technologies that span multiple continents, deploying code dozens of times each day.
We are looking for a talented and versatile Senior Engineering Manager to join our team! Senior Engineering Managers with significant experience in building cloud based platforms either in public or private cloud domains are preferred. We prefer candidates who have hands on design/coding skills for this role. You must have previous background in building and managing highly engaged teams. You will be leading a world class software engineering team and will be responsible for designing, architecting and building state-of-the art private cloud software that will help Visa improve time to market and reduce infrastructure and development cost.
Roles & Responsibilities (Your role @VISA)
- Provide leadership and oversight to a team of software engineers building solutions and capabilities at scale and high engineering and quality standards.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to understand business problems and then design and develop required solutions.
- Partner with architects to ensure developed solutions adhere to established best patterns and our architectural target state.
- Provide technical thought leadership towards solving problems for the team.
- Drive the adoption of key engineering best practices to improve quality and reliability of team's deliverables.
- Responsible for keeping the team engaged, motivated and operating with a high execution velocity.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring of direct reports.
- Develop and nurture team of developers by motivating and mentoring, and assist in hiring critical talent.
- Design, develop and evolve highly scalable and fault-tolerant distributed services
- Guiding developers in day-to-day design and coding tasks, stepping in to code if needed.
- Design and implement APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems
- Understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review. Collaborate with security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques
- Ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring
- 6+ years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 4+ years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters) in Computer Science/Engineering
- Strong software product development background with a passion for building cloud based applications with high levels of reliability, availability and security
- Very good understanding of Enterprise Application Life cycle Management needs.
- Experience building REST based web services & web applications using Java and Spring framework
- Experience building service-oriented solutions and Restful micro-services and a strong understanding of Java multi-threading, concurrency, and memory management
- Proficient in working with relational databases as well as NoSQL technologies like MongoDB, MySQL and Redis
- Ability to guide user interface development teams with Angular
- Experience of building software/frameworks for infrastructure automation and orchestration
- Working knowledge of infrastructure, ensuring high-availability, scaling, service discovery, logging, monitoring and alerting.
- Experience and understanding of Infrastructure as Code, Automation, and Orchestration
- Strong understanding of architecture patterns and operational characteristics of highly available and scalable applications.
- Excellent knowledge of core engineering best practices and passion to implement these across teams.
- Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally.
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.