Director, Operational Risk Management
- Foster City, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Operational Risk Management plays a critical role in Visa’s three lines of defense, providing oversight of Visa’s Business Operations. The team performs a wide range of services including risk assessment, controls monitoring and testing, and governance.
What a Director of Operational Risk Management does at Visa
As a trusted advisor, The Director liaises with colleagues across the Three Lines of Defense in order to support a robust control environment at Visa. The Director plans and support the execution of the Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Issue, and Event Management Programs at Visa. This is an exciting opportunity for a risk leader to make key contributions to help transform Visa's Operational Risk Function with a focus on Product and Client Services functions.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Lead the planning and the oversight of First Line of Defense RCSAs and participate in other key Operational Risk Management programs.
- Conduct operational risk-based reviews focused on Visa’s Product and Client Services Functions.
- Review and challenge business processes and analyze operational risk data to identify areas of increased operational risk at Visa.
- Identify opportunities to streamline risk assessment processes to increase operational efficiency and operational risk effectiveness at Visa.
- Identify and engage appropriate stakeholders to facilitate targeted deep dives, thematic reviews and any additional directives from senior leadership.
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders in the business to inform Operational Risk issues, events, and risk acceptance decisions.
- Promote sound risk management practice and culture to strengthen the operational risk environment of Visa.
- Support with the coordination of External Audit / Internal Audit / Regulatory requests.
- Build out Global operational risk management reporting.
This position will report directly to the Senior Director of Operational Risk Management.
Why this is important to Visa
Operational risk is an integral part of the everyday life of any enterprise relying on people, processes, and systems. It is fundamental to the deployment of human capital across business lines and global operations, to product design and implementation and most importantly, to risk governance and decision-making.
Visa continually strives to strengthen its operational risk management practices across all functions and business units including Client Services, Products, Human Resources, IT, Cybersecurity and Treasury to name a few.
In other words, we aim to build a strong enterprise-wide learning culture where we focus our energy, talent, and time on reducing exposure to predictable and well-understood risks related to our processes. Good operational risk practices are necessary for health and sustainability but also growth and long-term profitability at Visa.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
The candidate must have 10+ years of technical experience in Consulting, Risk/Compliance, Financial and Payment Services (Product and/or Client Services), with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, and MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD degree. The successful candidate will demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Practical understanding of risks and controls assessments with proven track recorded of applying technical skills and competencies in challenging and complex situations.
- Exceptional executive-level written, presentation, and verbal skills.
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to synthesize complex information into quality reporting and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to positively influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Proven record of sound judgment, diplomacy, transparency, and relationship building.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly in Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, and GRC Tools (e.g. IBM Open Pages, Archer, etc.).
- Analyze trends in data in order to assist senior leadership with decision-making and process improvement initiatives; proficient in metrics/KRIs assessment and reporting.
- Ability to work under pressure managing to tight deadlines and / or unexpected changes.
Projects you will be a part of
The Director of Operational Risk Management will be responsible for supporting a number of initiatives advancing the risk assessment and governance functions. These initiatives include:
- Rollout of Global Operational Risk Oversight Program.
- Automation of risk assessment and issue management practices and reporting leveraging IBM Open Pages.
- Delivery of ORM Control Testing, Issue governance, and reporting capabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0-10% of the time.
Work Authorization: Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment for this position. Visa will not sponsor applicants for work visas in connection with this position.
The position will be in Foster City, no relocation available.