Database Administrator - DB2
- Basingstoke, UK
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
What's it all about?
The Database team is part of Infrastructure's Distributed Systems Division and is responsible for delivering open system database infrastructures with operational excellence, being the industry leader in preventive and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through self heal and automated ecosystems, architecting, engineering, and building the reliable, scalable, secure, available, and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for product development partners; working closely with them to use database products to best effect, meeting various workload requirements, being transactional, analytical, non-relational, or data warehouse.
The wider DBA team is the technology owner of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies, is responsible to strategise, advance, and engineer enterprise solution for automated build/patching and efficient administration, that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the build and run activities related to DB2 and NoSQL database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to solution engineering and support as well as being responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining running systems and performing problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and must be able to work both as part of a team and independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
What we expect of you, day to day.
Support Database Platform Engineering in the development and deployment of either DB2 UDB on LUW and DB2 partitioned databases/ DPF in high SLA environments or similar for Cassandra, Mongo and Redis. This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain databases in production and non-production environments, including DR and patching activity.
- Responsible for responding to and analysing high severity calls, working to resolution and providing root cause analysis.
- Planning and implementing proactive measures for reducing the down time for production environment, as well as capacity management activity and reporting.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensuring continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Write/maintain OS level scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level 3 issues.
- Work closely with Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLAs and performance targets.
Thinking about careers differently...
At Visa, we are passionate to offer our employees compelling career growth opportunities. As such, even if you do not have experience of this function there could be skills or experiences, which would transfer well. For this role, the key skills required are:
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Good UNIX platform skills and a general understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Mid-level Production DBA experience on DB2 LUW and partitioned databases/DPF environment with DB2 UDB utilities. Or Mid-level Production DBA experience on Cassandra, Mongo and Redis.
- Proficiency in understanding and writing SQL procedures, functions and packages for administration and application support and experience with Q replication, Range partitioned tables, Hash partitioned tables, Replicated MQT and MDC.
- Experience of database maintenance without downtime using Q-replication.
- Strong record of troubleshooting database production problems and connectivity issues.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Experience in the full suite of DB2, Mongo, Cassandra and Redis will be highly advantageous.
- Previous experience in the financial industry preferred.