Sr. Data Engineer (Java/Go with Flink)
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
To ensure that Visa’s payment technology is truly available to everyone, everywhere requires the success of our key bank or merchant partners and internal business units. The Global Data Science group supports these partners by using our extraordinarily rich data set that spans more than 3 billion cards globally and captures more than 100 billion transactions in a single year.
Are you skilled at turning hard numbers into compelling stories and useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for helping to blueprint and deliver modelled attributes, data assets, and self-serve workflows that solve clients' business objectives. You will get the chance to leverage your business acumen and technical knowledge of big data and data mining techniques. Based on deep understanding and knowledge of big-data engineering techniques, you will develop and maintain data and tools to enable data scientists to draw fact based insights and build models This function is critical in building market-relevant client solutions and intellectual property for Visa.
The position will be based at Visa's headquarters in Foster City, California.
- Work with manager and clients to fully understand business requirements and desired business outcomes
- Assist in scoping and designing analytic data assets, implementing modelled attributes and contributing to brainstorming sessions
- Build and maintain a robust data engineering process to develop and implement self-serve data and tools for Visa’s data scientists
- Perform other tasks on R&D, data governance, system infrastructure, analytics tool evaluation, and other cross team functions, on an as-needed basis
- Find opportunities to create, automate and scale repeatable analyses or build self-service tools for business users
- Execute data engineering projects ranging from small to large either individually or as part of a project team
- Ensure project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
- Provide coaching and mentoring to junior team members
Can you take on the responsibilities described above? Then please apply!
We have a number of openings at all levels and are seeking team members that are passionate, visionary and insatiably inquisitive. Successful candidates frequently have a mix of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required. Advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of software development experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging standard development best practice methodologies
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on expertise with Java or Go lang/Python.
- Experience in developing Rest API or gRPC calls
- Solid hands-on experience with Data technologies like Flink/Kafka streaming.
- Experience with highly distributed, scalable, concurrent and low latency systems working with one or more of the following database technologies: MySQL. NoSQL DB, Elastic Search or Redis DB
- Experience working in an Agile and Test-Driven Development environment.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Automated Test tools such as Jenkins, Artifactory, Git, Ansible
- Familiarity or experience with data mining and statistical modeling (e.g., regression modeling, clustering techniques, decision trees, etc.) is good to have
- Strategic thinker and good business acumen to orient data engineering to the business needs of internal clients
- Demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor, strong attention to detail, team oriented, energetic, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.