Senior Director, Head of Risk – Hong Kong & Macau
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa owns the most recognizable global brand in the financial services industry. Maintaining trust in that brand and differentiating Visa from competitors will be the Risk leader’s key responsibilities. Risk management is emerging as one of the key pillars of Visa’s strategy of Championing Security and Deepening Partnerships. With in-market ownership of this strategy, the Head of Risk plays a critical role to support the enterprise and operational risk activities of the company.
This role will be entrusted with a broad portfolio of responsibilities including Strategic Risk Management and Ecosystem Risk (Fraud & Data Security) for Hong Kong and Macau. As a key member of the market leadership team, this role will advise Visa’s Hong Kong General Manager, the market executive team and hub & global functional leads on strategies related to complex operational, financial, legal and regulatory risk exposures.
In addition to overseeing Strategic Risk Management, the Head of Risk will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the payments ecosystem, which includes issuing and acquiring banks, merchants, cardholders, and service providers such as processors, device manufacturers, and payment gateways. In this capacity, this role will work in conjunction with Visa Government Engagement, Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) and Monetary Authority of Macau (AMCM) shaping the Hong Kong and Macau payments industry.
The successful candidate for this hugely diverse role, will also collaborate effectively with the Hong Kong management team and hub/ global functions including Global Technology, Global Product & Solutions, Client Services, and Merchant Solutions & Acquiring. This role will develop security priorities and execute strategies to prevent fraud, enhance user authentication, safeguard sensitive data, identify and respond to data breaches, and prevent the misuse of the payment system for unlawful purposes. This role will also be responsible for representing Visa’s Credit Settlement Risk policy to protect Visa against financial loss in the case of a failure of an issuing or acquiring bank.
The Head of Risk will play an important role in shaping Visa’s enterprise and operational risk strategies during a period of rapid innovation in the payments industry. This role will have the opportunity to lead Hong Kong market management and clients to mitigate risks and innovate responsibly. He/she will be a catalyst for transforming Visa Hong Kong and Macau’s risk strategy and solutions for issuers, acquirers, and merchants, with the end goal of championing payments security & forging deeper client relationships.
Develop and execute a comprehensive risk plan that is consistent with local market landscape, market priorities and global risk strategy.
- As a member of the Hong Kong leadership team, serve as a trusted & strategic advisor to the Hong Kong General Manager on all risk issues
- Execute both internal and external risk management programs
- Lead client forums (security summit, Risk Executive Councils, working groups, etc.)
- Promote & support client adoption of Visa risk products / solutions / initiatives
Manage relationships with issuers, acquirers, merchants, payment processors, service providers, regulators, and law enforcement to:
- Identify opportunities to enhance the payment ecosystem and advance risk management best practice.
- Support constructive relationships with local market regulators and law enforcement agencies
- Resolve fraud & data breach events
- Provide stakeholder training
Implement and manage the appropriate supervision framework in market.
- Perform 2nd Line accountabilities in the execution of the Global Supervision Risk framework for identifying, monitoring, and managing supervisory relationships
- Partner with business and functional teams to engage with government stakeholders, foster sound conditions to operate, and create insights on regulatory and supervisory topics for effective business responses
- Provide regular and ongoing reporting, metrics and information related to regulatory and supervisory management
Lead the responsible innovation initiative by assisting Visa and its clients mitigate risks and embrace new technology improvements.
- Assess emerging/innovation risks and new business models
- Leverage local insights to contribute to Risk thought leadership
- Guide clients through payment innovation complexity
Prepare reports, briefings, and other written products to update executive management on risk activities, issues, and opportunities.
- Convey risk-related trends and developments to local General Manager and leadership team through regular reporting
- Synthesize marketplace feedback regarding the effectiveness of Visa’s risk management strategy and programs; benchmark Visa’s performance relative to other payment networks and participants
- Guide Visa’s proactive risk communications and collaboration across all of these stakeholders so as to advance the safety, security and long-term growth of the Visa payment system
The ideal candidate is an accomplished enterprise and operational risk leader with deep experience in the payments industry. While candidates with payments experience (networks, processors, financial institutions) are preferred, candidates from other multi-national, technology based, transactional businesses (e.g. large retailers) would also be considered. Finally, Visa may consider candidates with a track record for leading within a sound, well respected, multi-national, regulated business.
Regardless of the business pedigree, candidates must possess a deep intellect capable of understanding both current and emerging risks facing the business. Candidates must also demonstrate a track record for using that understanding to develop effective risk mitigation strategies and to sell those strategies to colleagues internally. The ability to influence senior level decision makers and to partner closely with the business is most critical.
Proficiency in Cantonese and Mandarin is preferred. Full professional proficiency in English is essential, with native proficiency in English strongly preferred.
Finally, a high degree of self-confidence, humility and energy will be essential to succeed in a fast pace and evolving industry.
Professional Experience Required:
• Track record for successfully identifying and mitigating enterprise and operational risk for a complex, global company in a regulated industry.
• Experience protecting consumer and corporate data through the development and implementation of rigorous compliance & rules management processes.
• Demonstrated approach to risk management contributing to brand and business growth.
Strategic and Analytic Skills
• Understands both at a strategic and operational level the myriad risks facing the business; drives down to root causes to assess the severity of the risk, the cost of remediation, and develops an appropriate action plan.
• Maintains strong personal base of knowledge with respect to risk management, industry practices, trends, and issues.
Collaboration and Communication
• Works cross-functionally with technology and with business unit heads to deliver insights that drive key business strategies and decisions.
• Works effectively with clients and external stakeholders – banks, processors, regulators, and FinTech’s.
• Proven ability to influence, collaborate, and work in matrix environment.
Executing for Results
• Intellectually curious; finds stories in the data, asks the right questions, demonstrated track record of mining data & intelligence for game-changing insights that generate big impacts.
• Gets things done; relentlessly focuses on results; aligns efforts with business objectives.
Other Exposure and Education Required:
• Global and deep knowledge of the payments industry and the major trends affecting the major stakeholders, including regulatory, market environment, competitive landscape, technology, and the rising threat of data breaches.
• 12+ years of experience in leadership across technology products/ solutions, or similar years of experience in a leadership position within a financial institution, potentially as a key customer for Visa’s services on the client side.
• Solid general management background, with proven track record in strategic thinking, financial planning, risk management, relationship building and project leadership.
• Extensive international experience or work experience in a multinational corporation preferred.
• Undergraduate degree from top-tier institution required. Graduate degree with a focus on general management will be preferred.