Group Country Manager, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand (SMT)
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Group Country Manager has overall management responsibility for all aspects of Visa’s SMT business operations, including P&L responsibility for the Visa business in the markets. They will be expected to effectively develop local initiatives and deploy Visa’s relevant global solutions across the group to strengthen Visa’s client and other partnerships and drive local and regional business growth.
What a GCM, SMT does at Visa:
Strategic and Operational Leadership
- Design and execute strategies for key business initiatives in SMT, including market expansion, product development and innovation and local processing. Identifying success factors for business growth, developing tactical plans to achieve defined goals as well as designing and implementing effective sales strategies.
- Monitor the local development of various industries including payments, banking and financial services and technology/big data for trends and other factors with the potential to impact Visa’s current and future business in SMT and across Asia Pacific.
- Identify and prioritize new business opportunities in SMT and determine the appropriate level of resource investment to pursue effectively. Reprioritizing resources where necessary.
- Lead Visa’s strategy with government, central bank and other regulatory institutions within SMT. Engage these entities effectively to maximize Visa’s influence within the payments industry.
- Broadly represent Visa across multiple areas from sales to regulatory affairs to corporate and social responsibility by speaking at conferences and business forums and undertaking media/public relations activities to drive positive perceptions of the company.
- This position is part of the Asia Pacific Leadership Team and therefore requires close collaboration with fellow members to help set and execute the overall regional strategy.
Client and Stakeholder Partnerships
- Develop, cultivate and maintain deep partnership with client CEOs, management teams, decision-makers and other influencers within Visa’s clients; banks, national banking associations, key merchants, merchant associations as well as prospective & existing Fin Tech partners. Be aware of their views on the current state and future prospects for the payments industry, banking and financial services industry and technology innovation. Also truly understand the end user consumer and business landscape.
- Ensure that client account plans are up to date with current priorities and opportunities, aligned with Visa’s functional priorities and that these client account plans are executed with excellence.
- Engage regulators and other government entities in collaboration with the Visa Government Relations team around Visa’s ability to drive stronger economic growth, business innovation and financial inclusion.
- Understand and articulate how Visa differs from its competitors in terms of business strategies and capabilities, product positioning and pricing, and ability to drive client performance. Actively drive this differentiation and insight.
People Leadership and Management
- Lead and manage Visa’s SMT team, managing Visa’s current talent and hiring new staff to expand the team’s capabilities. Actively engage employees with exceptional communications skills and commitment by role modelling the behaviors underlying Visa’s leadership principles.
- Collaborate directly with functions (finance, product, marketing, government relations, merchant sales & solutions, corporate relations etc.), to ensure that each function contributes to and supports the execution of the strategic agenda of the markets.
- Ensure that cross-functional teams are fully aligned and briefed about clients’ and business partners’ environment; ensure that strategic plans for the market are developed in conjunction with, understood and shared by the supporting functions within Visa.
Take a thoughtful and diverse approach to talent acquisition and talent management, attracting, developing and retaining outstanding talent. Ensure appropriate succession planning is in place for key roles, maximize employee engagement and ensure all staff have meaningful development plans. Create a sense of community and drive a culture of genuine inclusion for the cluster.
What you will need:
- A minimum of 20 years of experience including 10 years of commercial / sales leadership experience within the broader payments industry, or adjacent sectors where technology (digital / e and m-commerce) feature strongly.
- Strong track record of client service, strategic development and execution, where the advancement and deployment of the digital and customer agenda has been a key driver of success.
- Track record in developing and leading client relationships and new business opportunities with key partners in the market.
- Experienced in navigating ambiguity, innovation and leading businesses in the capture, expansion and retention of client relationships in a high-growth / fast-paced environment.
- Strong B2B2C experience, with knowledge of expanding into new customer distribution channels.
- Track record in establishing strong connections with government representatives and regulators.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Robust decision-making and analytical skills. Strong command of financial, market and consumer data with the ability to grasp complex and detailed issues. Financially literate with an excellent understanding of risk management.
- Demonstrated success developing strategy and leading it through to execution and delivery.
- Consistent record of meeting stretched financial and business targets.
- Ability to work collaboratively with executives from Visa’s clients and partners to leverage Visa’s products and services in order to build broader payments solutions, and to enhance the organization’s client relationships.
- Experience of working in a global matrix organization with the ability to navigate complex structures and empower decision-making locally.
- Experience building, empowering and developing high performing diverse teams.
- An inclusive leader who is a hands-on approach to all activities with real passion for Visa and payments