Dev Team Lead / Project Manager
- Geneva, Switzerland
Vitol and our people
We are leading privately owned energy and commodities company and sit at the heart of the world’s energy flows. Every day we use our expertise and logistical networks to distribute energy around the world, efficiently and responsibly. For over 50 years Vitol has served the world’s energy markets; we have some 40 offices worldwide.
Our people are our business: the company’s value derives ultimately from them. It is on their expertise, innovation, drive and relationships that we depend for the development and growth of our business. Talent is precious to us and we create an environment in which individuals can reach their full potential, unfettered by hierarchy.
Vitol has a flat, meritocratic organisational structure, which we believe encourages an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach. Being a global business, our people come from all over the world and represent a vibrant mix of different nationalities, educational backgrounds and life experiences.
We have developed our own Commodity Trading Risk Management (CTRM) system that covers all aspects of our business activities across the globe: from trade entry through the middle-office with PnL reporting, market risk management, credit, and compliance down to the invoicing and for whichever commodity we are trading – electricity, gas, coal, crude oil, LPG, or carbon emissions certificates. Vitol is unique in the energy trading world in making our CTRM the core of our business processes that everyone at Vitol works with, often on a daily basis.
As part of the core CTRM dev team located in Geneva, you will lead a team of experienced developers that build and maintain the core risk and PnL modules and related sub-modules (market risk, forex, VaR, PnL explain etc.). This role includes the following main activities: • Set the team’s priorities based on business and technical needs and manage the daily/weekly/monthly development plan
• Work closely with our front office (esp. the trading desks and our risk management team) to identify business requirements and propose technical solutions by making full use of the team’s expertise
• Keep stakeholders for new developments involved through clear, regular communication
• Coordinate the roll-out of major projects to Vitol’s global user base and across our businesses. Vitol’s flat hierarchy requires close work with users to introduce new features in order to achieve buy-in
• Drive the delivery of new features and ensure quality, e.g. through code reviews and user tests
• Establish and advocate a forward vision for the Risk & PnL modules to bring our CTRM system to the next level in terms of capabilities and business benefit
• Gradually establish best practices for effective documentation (including designs, technical docs, clear and comprehensive user guides etc.) of all major developments in the Risk & PnL team
What you need to bring
• University degree (Bachelor, Master or PhD) in Computer Science, Engineering, or an equivalent field
• At least 7 years of practical experience as a developer, BA, dev team lead, PM, or a similar role
• Strong understanding of financial/risk modelling (VaR, options valuation, market exposures)
• Entrepreneurial mindset and demonstrated drive to create business value through IT systems
• Strong analytical and data modelling skills (incl. good understanding of SQL)
• Ability to bring together a team of different nationalities and personalities around common objectives
• Excellent English oral and written communication skills
Additional qualifications that can help you stand out
• Previous experience with leading/steering development teams
• Strong interest/prior experience with commodity trading systems
• Hands-on, flexible attitude that enables you to fluidly switch between problem solving, backlog management, business workshops, and technical troubleshooting
• Experience with PL/SQL (preferred) or a similar procedural DB programming language (e.g. T-SQL)
• Experience with Oracle Forms builder and C#
• Demonstrated ability to manage the software lifecycle in a corporate context
• Proven ability to effectively manage multiple development projects and deliver on time
• French language skills an advantage